Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freeze up

• Please log in to reply

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
when this problem first started, I changed over to firefox and was running this, I had to eventually uninstall this because my wife was having trouble navigating the page and I was copping to much flak.

from what I can remember, there didn't seem to be any problems when running this program, thanks, but no, I wont download firefox.

yesterday while posting to you, I didn't have one problem with "not responding" until I started opening and closing IE8 and windows live mail and then I got my "not responding" freeze.

I think I will stop bothering you and would like to thank you for your time in helping me so far, I will be placing another post with another problem with the desktop date eventually

thank you very much

best regards

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well I'm sorry this ends this way because the reason for Firefox suggestion was only to see if the problem happened with it.
I'm sorry I couldn't resolve your issue and thank you for the cooperation and understanding. Good luck

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yesterday morning Monday 31st when I first fired up the computer, there was a [bleep] of a racket coming from what I considered to be the cooling fan of the power supply, I thought this may have been a gecko (small house lizard)caught up in the fan area, I removed the side cover and after turning off the computer, I removed the power supply and run the computer again, the loud noise had gone, but I could still hear an uneven running in the fan, I replaced the fan and rebooted the unit and I received a bios screen saying the bios date was incorrect, attempting to change this was not possible, using the + and - keys would only key between 1 and 12, when I typed in the 31st, and pressed enter, the date would revert back to the 1st.

so now, briefly, I have a computer asking for a boot up disk and telling me it can't find the hard drive, and I only removed 3 power cables from the MB and didn't touch the sata cable to the hard drive.

I know this is not the original post, but thought you may like to know why I decided to stop wasting your time.

when I run firefox previously, I had uninstalled IE8 and I am fairly sure I had no conflicts with firefox, only with my wife.

I also enjoyed our posting and wish you all the best

Fred

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Double check power connection to HD and motherboard. You may have accidentally knocked it loose.
As for the bios problem I think you may have a combination of a failing PSU and low CMOS battery that can be causing your issue.
Since you had no problem that you remember with Firefox except for your wife :) that tells me it is a IE problem and not a OS issue.
As far as you wasting my time please don't feel that way as that is why I do this. I enjoy helping others and regardless if I help resolve a issue in 10 post or 100 posts I do not get discouraged and never feel like someone in need is a waste of my time.

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I agree with you, I am believing IE8 is the problem, while running IE7 and also Firefox, I had no major conflicts.

The computer is not quite 3 years old and at about 15 months the PSU failed and this was replaced under warranty, seems like about 15 months is the norm for these power units?.

Of course to check the PSU, the computer would need to be running I guess?.

I replaced the CMOS battery last night and this didn't help.

do you know of any way I might make a boot up disk?, I have the MSI MB Drivers and Utility,s Disk and inserting this didn't help at all.

And I am having trouble getting into the Bios page holding the delete key, most times on boot up, I get the DOS start up screen checking the system hardware ect and then asks to press F1, which then requires the boot up disk.

checkmate

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don't hold the delete key but tap it on the first post screen.
With the XP disk in it becomes your bootdisk but since you don't have that you can try to download just a XP bootdisk HERE
Let me know if this is what you are needing.

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 May 2010 - 06:44 PM.

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
for your interest mate!!

I didn't realise a Sata cable had to be plugged into the hard drive, (I didn't remove this) must have pulled out when I removed the PSU, this plugs into the drive on the LH side and previously when looking, I couldn't see the receptacle
for the plug, the drive is ok.

My wife called out the service man that looks after the computers at the shop where she works, he found the unplugged Sata.

The service bloke checked the computer and carried out a few diagnostics, checked the bios ect ( I might add, I was trying to place the day date in the month location, hence the 1 to 12 display) he run malaware bytes and then after combo fix, I think it was combo fix.

The malaware log listed I think 17 hotbar adware infections in different locations and the combofix's log listed a multitude of infections with out naming any.

The computer is running ok now.

Once again, thanks for your time, I learnt a few things from our posts and from the service bloke, like don't rely on one antivirus to look after the computer, always run another couple to pick up what the resident AV misses.

Best regards

Fred

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then at this point everything is now running like it should and the infection has been taken care of completely?

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yes, all is ok

best regards

Fred

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

Advertisements