Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Less Ram = Faster Hibernate?

• Please log in to reply

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have a carputer running Win XP pro. I have 2gigs of ram in it, but it's easily overkill. Is it true that when it hibernates ALL of the RAM contents are transfered to the HDD? Even the unused portions? I really ony need 512 or even 1gig. Would it get faster hibernation times witht the reduced RAM? I really don't have any big programs except my front end program. Centrafuse. Thanks!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"All of the ram contents" means all of the data held in ram, so obviously any ram that doesn't contain data is irrelevant, it doesn't get transferred because there's nothing to transfer.

Removing ram would be a bad move. What if you need to install an application in the future which requires a considerable amount of it? It would run slow (if it ran at all) if that amount of free ram wasn't available, plus Windows itself would slow down as it would be forced to use more virtual memory which is a lot slower than ram.

2GB is not "overkill" even for Windows XP, and less ram would not reduce hibernation time because, as I said above, only the data that exists in ram is written to the hard disk. Don't even consider reducing the ram - most people wished they had more of it, not less!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The concept of hibernation is that when a system goes into hibernation, the state of the system at that point in time is written to a file on the hard drive. When you wake it up by switching it on again, the file in question is used to restore the system. The amount of memory present in the machine makes no difference to the speed a machine hibernates.

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I mean for what I use it for, it's plenty of extra ram. I've never used more than 700MB at once (according to task manager anyway). I just wanted to know if it dumped all 2 gigs every time or not. But I suppose that it WOULD only have to dump what's being used. I didn't know if it overwrote all the "00000000000"'s of the un-used portions or not. Looks like the only way to gt my faster boot times is bend over and take the financial hit for a SSD.

My Windows 7 systems resume much faster than my XP (even with lower specs.) But with the hardware connected to it, I can't find any 7 or vista drivers. Looks like I' stuck!

Well thanks for the good info!