Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My computer freezes all the time. If I leave it untouched for a while it will freeze. If I'm watching a movie it will freeze. It freezes when I'm doing anything! Its really annoying and I need help.

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Probable hardware reasons for it to freeze:

1- Your ram (mermory stick), if you have more then one stick of ram remove them and only leave one to see if the problem continues if it does not remove the one there and put another one and so on.

2- Video card problem may cause a system to freeze (but usually it will freeze and the screen will go black)

3- Bad video drivers.

If you have only one stick of ram here is another way to check your ram is to download the bootable iso image of MEMTEST86 and burn it.

Once burned go in your BIOS and make your CD/DVD rom is your first boot device, put your cd in your drive save you BIOS and exit, the program should start and run by itself. If you see error messages at one point then you need new ram if you do not then your problem is somewhere else

You can also check all your ram that way if you have more then one but just remember to only leave one stick at a time since the program does not test stick by stick but all at once so if you get an error message and you have more then one stick in there then you will not know which is the defective one or if both are defective.

Also it might be software related (as virus spyware ect) to be sure of that go to the VIRUS SPYWARE AND TROJAN REMOVAL SECTION for help

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
is your Graphics card an Nvidia card? I've had trouble with their drivers lately. 2 BSODs in the past 2 days from the nvidia display driver for me.
RAM is definitely another possibility (which reminds me, I need to make a CD with Memtest86...).

Oh, and memtest86 is possibly with more than 1 stick of ram... it's just that only one can be done at a time.