Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet not working - failed to query tcp/ip - ipconfig error

• Please log in to reply

magogami

magogami

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I ran a couple of spyware scanners and my AntiVir scanner, but after eliminating what they found, I can't get on the internet anymore. When I try to repair the connection, it immediately pops up with a box saying something like "windows cannot continue repairing... failed to query tcp/ip." I've tried numerous things but they haven't done anything.

Also, I tried to use System Restore, but the restore points must be corrupted or something because each time I try to restore to an earlier time, the system restore says "installation incomplete," so I guess that is out of the picture? I am able to make new restore points I just can't restore to the points.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Edited by magogami, 06 May 2010 - 06:20 AM.

Advertisements

blknblu1

blknblu1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Shutdown/restart your router?

Have you tried release/renew?

open cmd window, type ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /flushdns, then ipconfig /renew.

dunno, may help.

magogami

magogami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well I'm using a laptop and I plugged in the ethernet cable from the computer that isn't working and the internet was working fine.

When I tried the release/renew thing I get:

"Windows IP Configuration
An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.
Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.
Additional information: Unable to query host name."

EDIT: I also tried the method described here http://www.geekstogo...amp;hl=ipconfig to rename tcpip.sys to tcpip.sys_old but my computer didn't give a warning like it did for the guy who talked about this method. So then I used my XP cd to reinstall the tcpip.sys files but it didn't do anything. Also, I changed about 6 tcpip.sys files but there were only 2 on the CD.

I also tried winsockfix and some netsh commands (along with this program http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 which didn't do anything.

Edited by magogami, 06 May 2010 - 06:37 AM.

magogami

magogami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Anyone have any idea?

Also, I had to copy winlogon32.exe and winlogon86.exe from the XP cd after the virus scan because my computer wasn't logging on. In Device Manager, there is a yellow exclamation point by the TCP/IP protocol driver. I am also "connected" to the internet even though the internet is not working.

Edited by magogami, 07 May 2010 - 10:11 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try sfc /scannnow from the command line.

magogami

magogami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Oh I tried that too with no luck.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I think it would be a good idea to visit the malware forum so you can get some of the infection removed. Will help fix your net

I imagine your LSP chain is broken/hijacked, causing the net problems.

magogami

magogami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I guess I could try that. What is the LSP chain? Did malware possibly brake/hijack it?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Its hard to say, we will know more when you post in the malware forum.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

Edited by Rorschach112, 07 May 2010 - 04:31 PM.

magogami

magogami

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok I'm working on the steps now. What I'm worried about is that I myself deleted something after running the spyware/virus scans because like I said above, after rebooting, I couldn't log in and had to copy winlogon32.exe and winlogon86.exe from the XP cd and I'm wondering if I have to do something similar for the tcp/ip issue. Thanks for your help so far btw.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I think you or an anti-virus scan may have. Mention that when you make a topic in the malware forum.

It should be fixable don't worry.