Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Windows 95 inherently unable to install?

• Please log in to reply

rhoadesb

rhoadesb

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So, I've got this nice emachines, 2.7gHz, 40GBHD, with 256MB DDR SDRAM.

When I try to install win95, everything appears to go well. Then just prior to it's final self check it displays an error message and indicates it must be installed again.
I am better than 99% sure that the machine does not have any hardware problems.

I do not have the error message. I apologize for that.

Anyway, my main questions are: Is Windows 95 capable of installing properly on such a machine? If so, can you give me one or two possible reasons such a scenario may transpire?

Thank you for any assistance.

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
What Operating System are you using now? If you are using something later than 95 you will have a hard time installing 95 over that.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
If it already has another Windows on it, I'd just dual-boot it. That will require partioning however.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
a little more info would be useful....what is the chipset?

The error message would be useful, too, as you know.

How are you installing? Got this weird notion in my head you formatted the harddisk as fat32--windows 95 does not support fat32....at least, not windows95a (or "gold")

rhoadesb

rhoadesb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
"Got this weird notion in my head you formatted the harddisk as fat32--windows 95 does not support fat32"

That may indeed be what the problem is IF in so doing, win95 would 99% install before showing the error message.

I may give it another try in the next 3-5 weeks or sooner. If I do, I'll bare that in mind and note the error message.

What is a chipset? :tazz:

rhoadesb

rhoadesb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
chipset is the main componant on the motherboard that governs how the cpu and motherboard communicate, what features are supported on the motherboard and how they work.

Motherboards have a variety of different chipsets and some require special drivers.

Once again, how did you format the drive?

Since it is win95, try a win95 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Windows 95 Original

rhoadesb

rhoadesb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
"Once again, how did you format the drive?"
c: was formatted as:
format c:/u/b
using a win95 startup disk.

I took the time to try and install again.

In fact I WAS trying to install previously on a fat32 system. Starting fdisk, I deleted all, then I created a partition size of 2GB allowing a fat16 system.

I then used the startup disk and ran the command sys c:. This went well. Then I created a subdirectory on c: (win95) and copied all the files of the install CD to that directory. I then ran the install command setup.exe. After a few routine checks of the computer, setup.exe told me to reboot.

After rebooting, I received the following error message, with I believe is the same as mentioned previously:
"While initializing device IOS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."

As I expected, restarting does not help. The same error message appears again.

Thanks again.

rhoadesb

rhoadesb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
also:
I have tried installing from the CD. I believe I get the same error message either way.