Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hibernation

• Please log in to reply

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Recently got a message from my APC Power Chute Program that I should set my PC to hibernate to take full advantage of the APC Program. I did so.

Then went to the power settings and am unclear what they should be now. They are set up thusly:

home/office setting
turn off monitor after - 30 minutes
turn off hard discs - never
system standby - never
hibernates after - 30 minutes

Lately have noticed that the screen saver is not shutting off
One time the system did not go into hibernation - screen saver ran all night. So am sure power settings need some kind of adjustment. Below my PC specs.

Dell XPS 400 Dimension
XP Pro Version 2002 SP3
Pentium ® D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB Ram

Thank you so much for any help you can give.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Do not use a screensaver. With your power-save options set to turn off the monitor after 30 minutes idle time there is no need to use a screensaver as well. You only need to set a screensaver up if the monitor 'turn off' setting is "never".

In any case, with modern LCD monitors, screensavers are not as vital as they used to be. Modern monitors are less prone to the static image 'burn in' effect which could affect old CRT monitors.
Today, screensavers are more an entertainment gimmick rather than doing anything useful (unless you have a CRT monitor or you've set it to never go into power-saving mode).

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Have used settings as you suggested and sure enough last night my PC went into hibernation with no problems. Had heard about screen savers nowadays but was not sure how true it was. Thanks so much for the settings and update re screen saver. Off and running:)