Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what the bleep is my computer doing to the external harddisk when idle

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
ok this is somthing that is completely baffling. when my external harddrive is plugged into my computer it will start grinding at random intervals. at first i thought somthing was accessing it so i turned off indexing i added it to my antivirus exclude list and turned off system restore for that drive. now every service and process that could possible use the external drive is now manualy configured not to. problem the external harddrive still randomly grinds. i got fed up and used diskmon from sysinternals and this is the screwed up part. i left the computer on for an houre idle i heard the external drive grind several times but when i checked the log the only recoarded activity was on disk 0 not a single read or write to disk 1 (external) now the only thing i am thinking is that the grinding is caused by the express card chipset talking to the controler's chipset on some hardware level that the computer isn't aware of. (note when the drive is left on while unpluged from the computer it will not randomly grind) someone shed some light on this.
the computer is a msi laptop running windows XP.
the external harddrive is plugged into a startech 2 port esata express card ecesata254 (card uses silicon image chipset)
the external drive is mounted in a iocell netdisk 351une 2nd generation enclosure
the drive it's self is a seagate 7200 baracuda 1.5 tb (the number i am getting is st31500341as but i cant tell if it is the model number of the drive or one of the virtual scsi adapters.) also why is the esata drive listed as scsi in the device manager anyway ??

Edited by mikeloeven, 06 May 2010 - 10:59 AM.

Advertisements