Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer boots only when it wants too

• Please log in to reply

wimbsey

wimbsey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
These are my specs:

Compaq Presario
Base Processor:
Athlon 64 (0) 3500+2.2GHZ
2000MT/s
socket AM2
Chipset
Geforce 6150LE
Motherboard
Asus A8M2N-LA
Memory
1GB
type 240pin DDR2 SDRAM
Harddrive
200GB SATA 7200rpm
Video
Integrated

Here's the problem, it seems my computer only wants to boot when it wants too!
Otherwise I see the no signal everyone else seems to be having. I can unplug it sometimes for minutes, hours, or days and I never know when it is going to boot again. It powers on fine everytime, but doesn't always boot. I have jumped the CMOS, taken the Ram out, tried one stick at a time, took it down to bare minimum, pulled board out and checked for burnt spots or cracks, pulled out modem, and just when I think its dead for sure it'll fire back to life! During the no boot times, the fans run, the hard drive flashes a yellow signal at me once, then goes to green, power button shines green. I've tried using the System recovery Disc that Vista urges you to make from your system, but alas no go as I can hear it working in the DVD player and the lights flashing but then it quits.
During one of the times I was able to get into Windows, I checked the memory and it was only reporting 512MB, shut it down to see which stick was bad and haven't got it back up since, that was yesterday.
Oh and everytime I plug it back into the wall, it powers on by itself, I never have to hit the power button, but I do to shut it down.
Keyboard and mouse also don't work during non-boot time.
Someone please help!

Edited by wimbsey, 06 May 2010 - 01:54 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
It seems you have a malfunctionning PSU (power supply unit). It is giving power to your system (fans, lights, dvd player working) but it is not constant and reliable power so your motherboard only boots when it receives enough stable power.

If you can get your hand and borrow another PSU to test on your system I would try it.

Worst case scenario buy one and explain your situation that you think but not sure if your current PSU is working properly, some stores will give you a couple days to bring it back for full refund if that does not solve your problem.

Hope this helps you.

sspomonag

sspomonag

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i had the same problem .. Try disconnecting ur dvd drive only start the computer with the hardrive also try to firmly press the proccessor tight in the socket Its worth a shot

wimbsey

wimbsey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Alzeimer and sspomonag, I kind of felt it might be the psu, but needed a little affirmation, I have 2 other spare psu's, but neither have the molex 4 pin plug for the motherboard that my current one does, One spare is a Dell and its output is 200w, the other one is a Deer(?)and its output is max 250w, I suspect I wouldn't be any better off than what I have going now if I tried them, correct?
I did try unplugging the DVD player and nothing changed, but thanks for the suggestion, anything's worth a try at this point.
Hard part about all this is I'm an author and my book is on that drive and the only other computer I have isn't Sata capable.