Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2GB Disk Drive errors

• Please log in to reply

BabyLips

BabyLips

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I plug my 2GB flash drive into my computer and try to open it, a message pops up saying, The disk in drive E is not formatted. Do you want to format it now. Since I have back-ups of all the files that were on it, I clicked yes. After clicking start and ok, another message pops up saying, Windows was unable to complete the format. Then after closing the formatting options window yet another message pops up saying, The disk in drive E cannot be formatted.
I am then able to open the drive and it shows that it is empty. But I am unable to copy files onto the flash drive. When I try to copy files to the drive a message pops up saying, Cannot copy (file name here):Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.
I know the files aren't corrupted or damaged because I am able to open them on my computer.
Does anyone know how I can fix these problems? Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try HP's USB Storage Format Tool
http://downloads.pcw...als/SP27608.exe

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi BabyLips, Welcome to geekstogo. If HP's USB Storage Format Tool
don't work, then give this a try.

http://www.beepthege...lution-trp.html

Dwight

BabyLips

BabyLips

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
HP's USB Storage Format Tool didn't work. When I click start a message pops up saying, There is no media on the specified device.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If it displays the same problem in other computers, my guess would be it's dead/(not worth messing with). :)

BabyLips

BabyLips

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright. :) Well, thanks for the help anyway.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
No problem. :)

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello BabyLips,
You can Right click on drive and then go to properties, select tools. You will find error checking wizard click on "check now" select automatically fix file system errors. after finishing again reconnect and go to error checking and select "scan for bad sectors"

BabyLips

BabyLips

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello BabyLips,
You can Right click on drive and then go to properties, select tools. You will find error checking wizard click on "check now" select automatically fix file system errors. after finishing again reconnect and go to error checking and select "scan for bad sectors"

I did all of this but it didn't make a difference. I still can't copy any files to the disk drive or format it. I appreciate the help though.