Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

About Internal HD Removal

• Please log in to reply

SBernheart

SBernheart

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a few questions before I remove my internal hard drive. I bought an enclosure and wasn't sure about that and posted here in " Need Instruction on HD Enclosure " and while those questions were answered, I now have a couple more before I finalize everything.

First of all, I'm pretty sure everything that could be moved, copied and/or backed up has been done and some were done in multiples because of folders located in more than one place, but I figured the more the merrier. Better safe than sorry, I suppose. If I now remove the internal hard drive and for whatever reason need to put it back in the tower, will everything work like it did before the move to the enclosure? I also plan on removing the RAM to give to someone else to use, so obviously, I'd have to put one of the two I have back as well. Would it work then?

Second, am I right in assuming that the 'D:' drive is a partition on the internal HD along with the 'C:' drive so by removing the HD I'm getting BOTH drives, correct? If so, I think I'm ready to remove the hard drive to it's new home.

Lastly, I shouldn't have anything left in the tower of a personal nature if I'm removing the RAM storage and the HD. With no storage areas remaining and drives 'A:' and 'E:' are the floppy and CD drives, I have nothing left to worry about, even if I were to simply throw the tower away, right? With identity theft still on the rise, I want to be doubly sure I'm not ignoring any steps one should take to avoid this. I'm probably taking the tower to a place like BestBuy to recycle the parts, but you never know about employees that work in any given place either. I'm not paranoid or anything and I'd ALWAYS rather have someone reuse something than just throw something away, but I'm not taking any chances. I've been 'robbed' before, so if that's paranoia, than so be it!

Thanks for any advice you can provide. I know I'm worrying too much -- it's more worrying that I've forgotten something than anything else, so, again, thanks for the help and for putting my mind at ease.

SBernheart :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Answers:
Yes, it should run and be exactly the same if you put it back in the old computer, as long as you did not change any jumpers. If you did have to change the jumpers for the drive to be seen as a external drive, put the jumpers back the way they were, when you had the drive in the old computer.

your computer will run on a single stick of ram, but it may be much slower if the ram is less than 512 MB for XP.

If the "D" drive was a repair partition( or the recovery partition), then the only thing that will happen is you will not be able to use the data on that partition, as it is just windows data for recovery. If it is a plain ole data partition then you will have access to the data on that partition.

If you pull the HD out then there is not data that anyone can steal. Ram Memory loses any data stored on it when the computer is shut down.