Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista 0xc000014c

• Please log in to reply

melmaurer

melmaurer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is what i get when i turn my computer on. Safe modes won't let me in either.
I don't havean installation disc or a repair disc.
If anyone could please please tell me how/where to aquire one or another round about way to get my registry fixed, I would be ever so greatful.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system
Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

Thanks,
Melissa

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I am pretty sure you will need a CD to fix this. That is the easiest way.

What kind of machine is it?

Chazzinator0312

Chazzinator0312

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I don't know if "piggy backing" is allowed and it is not my intention to "steal" or "appropiate" someone elses post but...

Also, this is my first post, please forgive my newbyness and please make no assumptions. Thank you.

I have a Lenovo Laptop y510 with Vista Home Premium 32 bit installed.

It was working fine one night as I closed it all down, the next morning I could get nothing to come up. When booting I received the following information:

File: \windows\system32\config\system
Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

I finally created a bootable system disk.

Ran it. This first time everything seemed to be going fine, got the screen that allows you to either install windows vista or repair. Selected repair. It seemed to be working, but finally did nothing. I went to bed, next morning, still nothing.

Turned it off with power button.

Booted from system disk again this time selecting the install option.

Seemed to be working then got the same as listed in the beginning of this post:

==================================================================
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or sofware change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\config\system
==================================================================

Now, no matter what I try (bootable system disk, start in all the different available safe modes), all I finally get is the above screen telling me windows failed to load.

I'm more than willing to install or reinstall windows vista (after a computer crash a few years ago on my pc, I no longer keep any data on the hard drive - rather I store any file I create on a thumb drive) cause I won't lose anything but the additional programs I had installed which I can reinstall once I get vista back.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by Chazzinator0312, 16 December 2010 - 12:54 PM.