Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Sure if this Belongs Here but (sound problem)

• Please log in to reply

deucedeuce022

deucedeuce022

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, so the sound on my computer is all screwy. Whenever I try to listen to media files on my computer (videos, music, etc) the sound is always played too fast, resulting it in coming out "Chimpmunk"-y.
Anyways, I don't get this problem when I listen to my own CDs on the computer. It's just files that are on the computer that don't play right. Also, I don't think it's my speakers. Even when I hook headphones directly into my PC the sound is too fast.
Thank you for ANY help.

Advertisements

deucedeuce022

deucedeuce022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No one has ANY idea?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What applications are you using to play the media files with & the audio CDs with? eg in win98, it's often media player for media files & CD Player for audio CDs. Is this the caseand if so, have you tried a different application for playing your media files in?

deucedeuce022

deucedeuce022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually I'm using Windows 2000 (my mistake). And yes, I have tried media player AND winamp/winmx (don't remember the name). The audio was also messed up when I used to play music on LimeWire.
I'm playing my CDs under "CD Player" under the accessories pre loaded on the computer.

*edit*
Also, it doesn't play the file THAT much faster than usual. It seems to me that the time is screwed up, that it just goes through the file quicker than it's supposed to. Or is that stupid?

Edited by deucedeuce022, 21 May 2005 - 08:40 PM.

deucedeuce022

deucedeuce022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Holy crap is my sound THAT screwed?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Out of interest, are the media files you are trying to play, actually stored on your hard drive or are being streamed from the internet?

Also, what sound card have you got?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
If I may jump in here...
when you said the files are playing a little too fast, that got me thinking its a sample rate issue. this could have to do with the settings of your playback programs, and what the files are saved as.
what format are you saving these files in? wav, mp3, etc. also, look at the properties of a file you know plays fast, then switch to the summary tab- is the sample rate listed as 32k, 44.1k, or 48k?

also would like to know what sound card you are using, as samm requested.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Audioboy - That's exactly what I was thinking too. Glad for your assistance in this though, as you are the resident audio expert!

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
My friend had the same exact problem-with everything that came out of the speakers including games. The solution is simple-samm is on the right track, its sortware-not nessisarily media playing software, but an EQing and speed modulater. his seemed to come with the computer and I found it on the quick start thing called 'sound effect' or something. If its not there, look for sounds and audio devices in the control panel. The fix was the equalizer acceleration or something like that.
Hope this works

Nixx