Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Repair incomplete, BSOD on startup, and can't run safe mode.

• Please log in to reply

unfoix

unfoix

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi all,

I've recently changed my mainboard and CPU over from Intel to AMD chipsets, and upgraded to 4gb RAM, from 2.

Upon loading WinXP the first time I got a BSOD on bootup, so I entered Safe Mode to install mainboard drivers. Drivers installed, safe mode was fine.
Attempting to boot again gave the same BSOD, so I assumed (probably incorectly) that I should run a Repair install.

The windows repair finished its first phase until it needed to reboot, but was then interrupted by GRUB - I run a dual boot with Linux (which handles the new chipset and RAM just fine).

So, WinXP never got to finalize its repair install.
If I try to boot to safe mode I get an error telling me "Windows Setup cannot be run in Safe Mode. Setup will now reboot." And I'm forced to reboot.

and when I attempt to boot XP , blue screen again.

I'd really like to get through this without having to format the partition.
The only information the BSOD gives is

***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF7627750, OxF78A242C, 0xF78A2128)

Any ideas?
I've also tried bootcfg /rebuild in the windows recovery console - no luck, as well as os-prober and rebuilding GRUB's config in linux. no luck.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Whenever you make a significant hardware change, such as swapping the board and chip, you MUST do a clean install of Windows.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As stated.....The only clear and easy way after a hardware change (especially a main board) is a reformat and reload.
The drivers that belong to the old board are conflicting with the new board. The new board needs its own drivers.