Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow laptop (Vista) - takes long time to start

• Please log in to reply

Pettigrew

Pettigrew

• Pip
  • 5 posts
removed log

Edited by Rorschach112, 07 May 2010 - 01:05 PM.

Advertisements

cybelmar

cybelmar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Did you install any new software / browser toolbar / update recently?
If you think that latest changes you made might be causing this, you could try a system restore, and cross your fingers! :)

Do you have an antivirus running? Some of them perform so many security checks that they virtually prevent any process to run propperly.

You can try disconnecting the laptop from Internet (to avoid any infection) and disabling the antivirus. Then restart.

If you notice a fast performance, there you have the answer. You can either try anotehr antivirus or contact their support to ask them the best way to configure it to keep a nice performance.

You could also search for a good check & removal tool to find out any infection not detected by your antivirus.

Good luck! :)

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Pettigrew-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

NOTE: For future reference, please do not post any logs outside the Malware and Removal forums. Thanks. :)

Let's see what your startup routine looks like:

• Please download Autoruns for Windows.
  • Extract the Autoruns zip folder contents to a new folder.
  • Double-click autoruns.exe to launch the program.
  • Go to File > Save As, and name it autoruns.txt
  • Remember to save as type: *.txt!
  • Please attach the file to your next reply (remember- it must be a .txt file).
Also, please include the following information in your next reply:
  • The make and model of your computer.
  • The size of your hard drive, and the amount of free space left on it.
  • The amount of RAM on your computer.
  • Information on your processor, including make and speed.

Edited by FNP, 07 May 2010 - 10:26 AM.

Pettigrew

Pettigrew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I own an Asus F5Rseries. Hard drive: 55,8GB, free space: 9,45GB, RAM: 2GB, processor: Genuine Inter® CPU T2130 1.86GHz. And here (hopefully) comes the .txt file: Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   156.96KB   1298 downloads

And to answer the first of cybelmar's questions: Recently? No. But I've been struggling with this problem for over a year now and maybe I did install/update something then, but It's hard to tell now.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Please open Autoruns again, and go to the Logon tab. Uncheck the following items:
  • ASUS Camera ScreenSaver
  • ASUS Screen Saver Protector
  • ATKMEDIA
  • PCSuiteTrayApplication
  • RtHDVCpl
  • SunJavaUpdateSched
  • SynTPEnh
  • ehTray.exe
That will prevent some unnecessary programs from running when your computer starts up.

Next, let's take care of some housecleaning:

Step One
Clear Cache/Temp Files
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
Step Two
Defrag the Hard Drive
Check out this blog post to see why a fragmented hard drive can cause loads of problems.
  • Download Defraggler to your desktop.
  • Run the setup file to install the program to your hard drive.
  • Run Defraggler. Select the hard drive or disk you wish to defragment, then select analyze to view the fragmentation status of your drive.
  • Select Defrag to begin the defragmentation process. Depending on the status of the drive, this could take a while.
  • When the process is finished, close Defraggler.

After you finish those, post back with an update on how your computer is running. :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You appear to have F-Secure and Avast running, you cant have more than one anti-virus program. Remove one of these and see if that helps, it should.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Thanks Rorschach112. I was getting there. :)

Running more than can slow down your system, cause program conflicts and actually leave your computer more vulnerable to infection. Both programs are solid anti-virus applications; however, avast! is the resident choice for Geeks to Go. :)

Edited by FNP, 07 May 2010 - 02:21 PM.

Pettigrew

Pettigrew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did everything you guys told me to and the system is running noticeably faster now. It's still a bit slow at the beginning, but definitely not as slow as it was :) This is great!

enolagay

enolagay

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
i wish i knew what all this meant :( the same thing is happening to my laptop......
im just so green :( .....im trying to learn as fast as i can....

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
@ enolagay

Start your own thread and I will be glad to assist you.