Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reasons why my DSL keeps dropping?

• Please log in to reply

Tom07

Tom07

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Good Morning,
I live away from the city and cannot get cable because of the location so i have HiWaay DSl internet.

I've had it for 2 years and ever since I got it the internet will go out randomly. I have about 8 computers in my home and all wireless. Our modem is out router. What happens is the internet will work fine for hours then all the sudden it will go dead, none of the computers will get internet. While this is happening all the lights on the modem are on. What I do to fix it is reset the modem and the internet will work fine again for a few hours. Do you think it could be the wiring in my house or a bad connection? Thank you for any help... also I've called HiWaay and been through the whole thing with them, they weren't much help.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Since the problem affects all wireless computers in the house, the problem could be with the DSL modem or the wireless router. Connect one laptop to the router with an ethernet cable. Take note of the connection quality, especially when/if the wireless computers drop out.

What are the brand names and model numbers of the router and DSL modem?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
also try plugging in one of the computers directly into the modem...that eliminates the router as the problem

Tom07

Tom07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thank you for the replies. I did what you suggested and tried hooking it directly into the modem and the problem still occurs. I may have forgotten to mention that the modem is the router too.

Kind regards,
Tom

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if they won't replace the modem...
maybe the modem is getting hot...try aiming a small fan at it or relocate it or if its like my cisco e3000 that lays flat...try putting a couple of pencils under it to elevate it for better airflow around it

Tom07

Tom07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Alright I will try that and I'll also try moving it to another phone jack.

Thanks again.

talk to yous soon.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As another suggestion request your ISP run a speed and line noise test.
Have them also check for signal loss outside and at the modem.
This will cover all bases then with their service and hardware. Since all systems lose connection the issue is not a nic card or a system. It is a common piece which as everyone has said seems to be the modem or the signal itself. Don't let them tell you it's not.

Tom07

Tom07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

As another suggestion request your ISP run a speed and line noise test.
Have them also check for signal loss outside and at the modem.
This will cover all bases then with their service and hardware. Since all systems lose connection the issue is not a nic card or a system. It is a common piece which as everyone has said seems to be the modem or the signal itself. Don't let them tell you it's not.

Ok thanks.Is there some way I can run the tests myself? And compare their results to mine?

Thank you again,
Tom

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not without the equipment.
Line noise they would have to measure. The loss of signal is apparent. Speedtest would prove a low line speed only but not the source.
Also you would have to have internet connection to run speedtest.