Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble with new build

• Please log in to reply

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
i recently upgraded to a new motherboard, case, processor, and ram. when i turn on my computer on, the screen stays black and i don't hear any beeps.

motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
processor: i7-920
case: Cooler Master 932 Haf

im pretty sure everything is plugged in correctly now because it looks like everything starts up (fans go and motherboard lights are on). im just not getting anything on my monitor or anything from the motherboard speaker.

ive checked the graphics card and monitor multiple times.
im afraid i shorted out my motherboard when i put it in or my PSU doesnt have enough wattage (500w, which the motherboard manual recommends at least).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Suburban Roadkill, 08 May 2010 - 09:14 AM.

Advertisements

AzzaAaron

AzzaAaron

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
What brend is your PSU? Also whats it's rating? Try and resitting everything, id start with the Graphics card, ram and cpu first.

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
psu is an OCZ 500w

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Pull all your memory out and see if it beeps.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you think it's shorting out, try removing the motherboard from the case and set it up as a bench build. Full how-to in the sticky.

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
no beeps when i pull all the ram out. going to pull the motherboard out (sigh)

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
pulled out the motherboard and im still getting no beeps or display on the monitor

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i should also mention i accidentally touched the bottom of the new processor i put in... not sure if that would keep anything from beeping or displaying :/ please tell me i didnt destroy it

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Very possible... I have once had an old processor I found not to be working (just trying to see if an old machine would boot). After doing a heap of testing such as what you are doing, I removed the processor and had a good look at it, there appeared to be some smudges on the underside of the CPU, once I cleaned them off it worked like a charm. I have no idea what the smudges were, but logic tells me the machine would never have worked then...

Oh the joys.

Have some fun with that and see how you go.

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i would be very happy if the processor is the problem (if i dont have to replace it, that is). i used some canned air on it the other day and nothing happened, but i might have to use some alcohol and a coffee filter on it.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Alcohol and a coffee filter? :)

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i did some searching on the internet about cleaning a processor and read that using some 90% alcohol solution with a non-static cloth (such as a coffee filter) can be used to clean finger oils off of a processor.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh right... I use ArctiClean:
http://www.arcticsil.../arcticlean.htm

Obviously only use it on the top metal part, not on the underside. I have no idea what a coffee filter is as I don't drink the stuff, but it doesn't sound too good.

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
cleaned the processor... nothing changed...
i was thinking i might not have enough power, but everything with a fan spins and everything with a light lights up.
maybe a short in the motherboard near the processor or the graphics card? but i took out the board, put it on some cardboard, and nothing changed...
(sigh) bout to hang myself with the power cord

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Don't go hanging just yet mate. :)

Can you confirm you have the following:
Motherboard on cardboard
CPU installed, thermal paste on, heatsink fan assembly on and plugged in to motherboard CPU fan header
Memory, just one stick at a time if you have more than one module. Ensure it is in DIMM 1 position
Graphics card
PSU with the following connected: CPU Power (8 pin), Mobo power (24-pin), graphics card if it needs it
keyboard only

Anything else is disconnected altogether. Let me know how that goes. Try resetting the BIOS, try swapping RAM modules around and report back.

Regards,

Troy