Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Having trouble with new build

• Please log in to reply

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i have all that (except for the 8 pin CPU connector because my PSU only has a 4 pin labeled P3 and i have the 24 pin). i also left out my keyboard because i didnt think leaving my keyboard unplugged would keep anything from showing on my monitor.

im also not 100% sure how to reset the BIOS, but theres a "CLR CMOS" button on it that ive been pressing alot and i keep taking out the motherboard's battery.

i guess i could try swapping the ram around a bit more. ill do that tomorrow and if nothing happens im taking the motherboard back to Micro Center for a new one

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I would get a PSU that has the 8-pin CPU connector before I tried touching anything else...

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok so i plugged in that P3 cable to the 4x2 CPU and left it on for a few seconds then i heard a long continuous beep that stopped after a second. i think im getting somewhere. might need a better psu

edit: actually it was more of a group of very quick beeps

Edited by Suburban Roadkill, 13 May 2010 - 08:18 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
edit...wrong topic

Edited by happyrock, 13 May 2010 - 08:57 AM.

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i looked it up in my instruction book and it means "power error"

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i have an old PSU (also with a 4 pin connector) that im going to hook up at the same time as my newer one using this website - http://www.overclock...-two-power.html
i hope i just need more power instead of a new power supply (sigh)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get it wrong and you may just fry your new mobo ...processor and ram

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok so i just went ahead and bought a new PSU because it was cheaper than i thought it would be. i plugged everything in and got the same beep code...
brb hanging myself

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
media1.jpeg
here's a picture for reference. i did a little google searching and found that my beep code probably means that my cpu is overheating. i found that my cpu cooling fan spins slower when i plug in the 4x2, 8-pin connector...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Do you have a different graphics card to test? Tried other memory sticks? Removed the battery for a minute to reset the BIOS?

Advertisements

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
the ram is working, i tried resetting the bios, and i dont have any other graphics cards that will fit

Suburban Roadkill

Suburban Roadkill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
hey guys, thanks for all of your help! really, it helped a great deal. i finally got it working (a while back, just thought to post this). i called the motherboard company and the Indian guy on the other side told me i was a dumbass (in kinder words) because i had the ram in the wrong slots. when all else fails, call the number on the box.

RocketWild

RocketWild

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Nevermind

Edited by RocketWild, 22 December 2010 - 05:18 AM.