Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a shortcut to a Bookmark toolbar

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Another very basic question: I am constantly amazed at how much (after a dozen years using pc’s) I still do not know.

With my XP Desktop:

• I have a WORD2003 icon on the Desktop of my XP desktop pc. Clicking it opens WORD.
  • On my Firefox browser I have a list of bookmarks, the top few of which appear permanently on a tool bar at the top of the screen and the rest in a dropdown listing that I call up by clicking a “>>” symbol on the right end of that toolbar.

I would like to add a shortcut to WORD2003 to that Bookmark toolbar.

Can that be done? How? Thanks.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
batpark-

I have to admit, I've never heard of this question before. But, yes, it is possible. :)
  • Open a new tab in Firefix
  • Enter this into the url bar (where %USERNAME% is the name of your user account):
    file:///c:/Documents and Settings/%USERNAME%/Desktop
  • The will bring up a directory page that display the contents of your desktop.
  • Create a new bookmark for easy access to your desktop contents from within your web browser.
Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you. :)

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
FNP: Thanks. Ready now to try your suggestion but ...................... not sure what the name of my Firefox "user account" is. How can I determine that?

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
batpark-

It's not your Firefox account. It's your Windows account name.

What you're doing is using your web browser to access the file on your computer, similar to what you would do when you open 'My Documents' or 'My Computer'. Instead of using that, you're using Firefox, and you'll be able to save that location (in this case, as a bookmark).

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you. :)

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
,,It's not your Firefox account. It's your Windows account name.>>

What is a Windows account name? Something <<I>> established years ago? How can I see my Windows account name?

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
batpark-

I'm assuming you're using Windows XP, yes?

The user account is what you use to log in to your computer. You created your account name when you first created the account (likely, when you first used the computer). If you don't have more than one account, and it's not password protected, it's understandable if you would forget it.

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Change an Account. A list of the different user accounts on the computer will pop up. The name of the account is what we're looking for.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on the shortcut to word on your desktop and choose properties, copy what's in the "target field" into the location that FNP suggested above

so if your target says:

"C:\Program Files\BumpTop\BumpTop.exe"

your favorite's button link would be:

file:///C:\Program Files\BumpTop\BumpTop.exe