Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Booting Issue

• Please log in to reply

Jophet

Jophet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I am new to these forums so, I shall try to keep it both brief and concise.

This is my issue:

When I power up my PC, I hear the fans kick in as it powers up. The PC then switches off and then, powers up once more. This happens several times - sometimes for a few minutes and, can last up to five minutes (approximately) - before it eventually loads up Windows. When I have finally loaded up, everything runs fine and I have no issues.

I have updated all my hardware; updated the motherboard; updated the BIOS succesfully; reset the battery (is that called CMOS, or something?); checked all cables are fitted correctly; reinstalled and updated Vista 64 Ultimate.

I do not have a heating problem as I am running at a steady 45deg.cel. My PSU is 500W and more than adequate for my PC.

So, what can I do to fix this, save sending off my PC for some tech guy to harvest my hard-earned cash...?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

(If you can keep your replies simple as I'm not a tech wizard. Cheers.)

**P.S.: There are no 'beeps' during loading up so, no issues there. Just thought I'd add that...**

Edited by Jophet, 08 May 2010 - 05:07 AM.

Advertisements

Jophet

Jophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
**UPDATE**

Just checked through my Event Viewer and found the following:

The following boot-start or system driver(s) failed to load: i8042prt

I am currently investigating but, any help is appreciated.

Edited by Jophet, 08 May 2010 - 05:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The process i8042 Port Driver belongs to the software Microsoft Windows Operating System or i8042 Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse Port Driver by Microsoft Corporation (www.microsoft.com).

Do you have a Vista Installation Disk?

Jophet

Jophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

The process i8042 Port Driver belongs to the software Microsoft Windows Operating System or i8042 Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse Port Driver by Microsoft Corporation (www.microsoft.com).

Do you have a Vista Installation Disk?

Yes, I own the retail version of Vista Ultimate (Upgrade).

Jophet

Jophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
**UPDATE**

So, I have used my copy of VISTA and ran the various tests, all of which showed no errors.

In desperation (I've been at this all day and I'm about to scream) I fiddled about (again) in the BIOS menu: in STANDARD CMOS FEATURES, I changed <Halt On> to <No Errors> in the hope that my PC would simply ignore any booting issues and start up first time... No such luck, I'm afraid.

As for the i8042prt issue, which I mentioned earlier, I dealt with that issue (at least, as far as I am aware). I changed various values in the registry and, well... you can guess the rest: still no joy.

On powering up my PC, it still stops and restarts several times and I can't - for the life of me - figure out what to do next. I hope there's someone out there who can help me...

Jophet

Jophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Starting to worry that I have you guys stumped with this one...

Hope not. Been working to fix this for 9 hours, today. Sending it in somewhere to get repaired will mean I have failed and that sucks. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
If I may chip in, have you tried another psu if not can you loan one to try?
if you can`t, take your own psu & get it tested professionly (local comp shop
or at a push PC World)

Jophet

Jophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Started thinking it may be the PSU, as I have tried everything else.

Will have to wait till I get some money.

Thanks for the tip.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can get it to start and log into Windows please do the following.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Jophet

Jophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your response. Please find the information detailed below.

Incidentally, I installed VISTA 64 again last night and have been updating it since. Unfortunately, it did not stop my power up issue. All drivers on my PC - from graphics, to motherboard, etc - are now all updated. It doesn't seem to be a software issue...

One question I have is: if it was a PSU problem, why does my PC run okay once it's got to Windows?

Thanks for all your help, once more.

Posted Image

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you take a look at the voltage readings on the
+12v
-12v
-5v
You can see they are not normal. I suspect a PSU problem at this point and recommend a replacement. You need to replace it with something as high as what you have or better.
500 Watt or better.
Don't skimp on the name as a bad PSU can be more dangerous to the system then just low voltages. It could short out causing damage to other components.
Make sure it is 80 plus certified which will use less energy to run.
I'm partial to Corsair myself and they have a great reputation for their 550 Watt PSU.

Jophet

Jophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah, I think you're right: the PSU I have - a 500W Colorsit - was cheap and fitted the purpose, or so I thought.

Great minds think alike, as I had my eye on this Corsair, over at Amazon (UK): CLICK HERE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great choice and I'm sure it will be a lot more stable then the one you have. That is exactly the model I was looking at at Tigerdirect and NewEgg also.
It should give you all the power connections you need now and for future upgrades.
I have suggested it several times in the past and everyone has been very satisfied with it. Please let me know when you get it and how everything works once you have it installed.

Jophet

Jophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah, I'll be sure to let you know what it's like and I'll post a new Speedfan report on this thread, as above...

Also, there's been something of a tragedy happen: I was on my PC (having managed to get it powered up) and after a few hours there was a dull popping sound from the rear of the machine, a sudden bright flash and then the machine turned itself off and would not power back up. I'm now forced into using my wife's notepad PC to log into here.

Well anyway, it's going to be a few weeks until I get paid and then I'll be sure to purchase the Corsair. Naturally, I'll pop back and let you know how things work out. I don't know if you want to attach an email alert to this thread, so you know when I come back or, you could let me know if there's any other way of responding.

Anyway mate, it's been a real pleasure chatting with you these last few nights and your help has proved invaluable. Speak soon and take care :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Also, there's been something of a tragedy happen: I was on my PC (having managed to get it powered up) and after a few hours there was a dull popping sound from the rear of the machine, a sudden bright flash and then the machine turned itself off and would not power back up.

PSU sounds like it just fried. Was there a electrical smell?
The bright flash is a good sign the PSU burned out.