Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem installing software

• Please log in to reply

kelkay

kelkay

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I tried to install ATF, and TFC today. Neither one will run. When I click on them it says Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. I am in administrator mode. I only have one user account for this computer. I noticed CCleaner shows a bunch of temporary system files that are supposed to be deleted, but weren't. So I remembered I had ATF, and thought I would download that and run it. (this was in the past, I have reformatted since then) It didn't work at all. So I tried TFC. Same thing. It won't run either. Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Depending how you setup your installation of XP you can try this:

The default Administrator account (not yours)in XP Home can only be entered from safe mode. Once in there you can go to the users accounts and reset your account as an administrator.

Please note that when you choose to enter the administrator account from safe mode it will ask you for a password and unless you had put one there should not be any so just leave it blamk and press enter.

Hope this helps.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Thanks, I will try that. When I get the message, or go to the user account, it shows I am an administrator. I will try it from safe mode and see what happens.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
It worked in safe mode. I then added a shortcut for each on the desktop. I restarted. Then I double clicked TFC, it said the publisher could not be verified, are you sure you want to run this software. I decided to untick that, because I didn't want to be asked every time for it. I clicked on it again, and it gave me that administrator thing again, or could not find specified file or path. So then I went to ATF, I did not untick that one. Now it won't run ATF either...when the warning message pops up, it shows I am in HP Administrator. Oh well, if it will run in safe mode, then I am going to stop dealing with this. I had ATF and used it a lot in the past, never a problem. Something strange is going on, I just don't know what.