Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Media Center Requiring Restore

• Please log in to reply

billfence

billfence

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, so basically my friend's computer is useless, and I'm hoping that someone here can help.
When the computer is booted up, the screen does not actually display anything, but simply lights up a little (presumably the backlight turning on).
The computer is a Packard Bell, with an Intel Pentium 4 processor, and an NVidia video card.
It came with Windows XP Media Center, as it was designed to take, and has not had any other operating system installed to it.
I know it is not a fault in the screen, as I have tried no less than four different monitors, and none have any other reaction than described above.
I would put more details, but as you can probably gather, I can't actually see or do anything with the PC in order to get them.
If you have any questions, I can try and find an answer to them, but there are no guarantees.
All I am trying to do with this machine is to get it back to factory condition, which would hopefully fix this problem (probably brought about by a virus, as he says he downloads lots of bits and pieces form the internet).
I haven't got long to fix it, so a speedy reply would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
sinc eyou seem to have the same experience with different monitors it would seem that a new video card needs to e installed since it cannot show naything the vid card is loaded at startup so there is the only option I cna think of that fits the scenario

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go.

We need to determine if is a video card or something else. I assume you are getting nothing on the monitor. That means no cmos boot up (no POSY boot).
Are you able to start in safe mode? That would be F8 at bootup.

I also assume this is a desktop.
Turn power off and unplug from the wall.
Open the case and re-seat all of the connectors for the PSU to the board and components.
No joy....

Remove the ram from their slots (touch the side of the case).
Try to start the computer again. It should yield a "no memory" beep code.

Info on POST

I am leaning towards memory , main board, or cpu

123runner

billfence

billfence

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Safe mode doesn't seem to make a difference, apart from that the screen goes darker again, instead of remaining slightly lighter.
Will see if I can open the machine up, but seeing as it's not my machine it's up to the owner as to whether I can.