Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need some advice, ive just cleaned 44 viruses off my mother in laws co

• Please log in to reply

Osric20

Osric20

• Pip
  • 1 posts
being listened to.. if people are too lazy to scan their machines, they dont deserve computers in my book, but My girlfriend seems to think Im a total [bleep] when i say things like that.
Also, the virus game is getting uglier and uglier out there.. software that was top 5 6 months ago isnt even top 20 now.
My question: After fixing her machine, i decided to change around the security stuff on her computer since i knew there was some slightly better stuff around at least, and im certainly not ghoing to buy her software for an 8 year old athlon 3000.. it should have already been sent to an honorable death anyway.
So here is what I am doing so far.
I am using Microsofts new security solutions for antivirus, as it seems to be the only program catching about everything at the moment.
I installed malwarebytes, and left her 3 pages of painstaking instructions on how to keep it clean(and i dont give a [bleep] if my GF leaves me, im not fixing this computer again.. snake bites you once, snakes fault, snake bites you twice, your fault, snake bites you every other day, you are a frickin moron.
So my question is this, what would be the best firewall to use? i hate using the windows firewall but im thinking it could be an option. Im seeing things about comodo, pc tools, and a couple of others, but i have a couple of extra requirements.
I need something that it will be very difficult for people with zero computer knowledge to screw up, and something that uses the least amount of resources possible on an old machine.
Thank u much,
Ronald Stephens

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Comodo is pretty robust solution. Even the Windows Firewall is fine and requires little user interaction.

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
This isn`t going to be of any help to you as far as your question about software to use, but it could help ease your mind about putting your foot down. I had a similar situation, wife begged me to help an older girl friend that didn`t know anything about computers set up a computer that had been given to her. Well, it was a piece of work, full of viruses and spyware, hadn`t been scandisked or defragged probably since new. Spent a lot of time on this machine for free,(just cause for the wife) put all the latest good freeware for antivirus/spyware/etc, took me a while to do it. Spent some time getting it online, and all peripherals set up. Took the time to do as you did, left painstaking instructions on how to take care of all software. These people live 45 minutes from us, and I must have made 3 trips over there during this process, and spent hours there each time, once again for FREE/NADA/NOTHING. When I left everything was working exactly as it should. Well, a couple of weeks later, wife said lets go to the friends house and visit. When we got there, I happened to walk by the computer, and lo and behold, none of the programs I had painstakingly and for freeee put on her machine were gone, no icons, and in their place was other programs that I knew were well lets say less reliable. Well, I flipped out. I asked the friend why all the programs I had put on her machine were gone. She said her 17 year old daughters boyfriend had told her that "HE" didn`t like those programs that I had put on her machine, so she let him put programs of his choice on there. Needless to say, when I left I was not a happy camper, what a waste of my time. Well, a week later, wife received a call from that very same friend with a question. All the software the daughters boyfriend had put on her computer were on the fritz, and the wifes friend wanted to know if I would come back, take the software he had put on her machine off, and put the software I had chosen for her machine in the first place back on it. Well, as you can tell by my tone here the answer was "NO". Boy, I tell you, I was called everything in the book for weeks after that, and you know what, I didn`t care, and I still don`t care. They eventually got used to it, and don`t bother me anymore. When you spend hours/days trying to help someone for "FREE", and they throw your hard work away like it`s nothing, I decided it was time to get a new attitude, and I did. No more free help for those that think it is owed to them, or want someone else to do all the work while they play, take it to a tech, and get your gold card out. How do you think they`ll like those apples.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
The best protection for a computer is the USER, if he/she does not care or tries then no matter what you install or do trouble will come knocking at one point.

As for what they do with their computer after you've help fix it, well it is theirs do to what they want your only option is to say yes or no to help.