Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell XP 400 Freezing

• Please log in to reply

MEUNCFREE

MEUNCFREE

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ladies & Gentlemen, I need your help. I am running an XPS 400 running XP Pro MCE (SP2) and these components:

2 Intel Celeron 2992 mhz processors

1gig memory

OYC523 motherboard

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 video adaptor

Dell 1905FP Monitor

100gb hard drive of which 47.1 gb are free

My computer came from dell with XP installed and unfortunately, I don't have any discs with which to reinstall.

I normally use FireFox for internet surfing and like to play downloaded games.

About a month ago, my computer started freezing. The screen would freeze and the sound would loop on the last sound made before the freeze occurred. I have downloaded and run Malware AntiMalware and originally found some problems that have been fixed for a week now and found no problems when I ran it last night. I have avast antivirus running full speed at this time as well. I also have windows firewall active.

I cannot figure out why my computer continues to freeze. Since removing SP3 and getting rid of the problems with Malware, it doesn't freeze as often but still freezes. I've tried adjusting accelerations both sound and hardware to no avail. I've done a memory diagnostic and drive diagnostic at startup and both showed clear.

About a week ago, I left my computer off for several hours but accidentally left my monitor on. when I booted up the computer, it wouldn't boot up and i got two lights lit up on the front of the terminal which I later found out was supposed to mean a potential problem with the graphics card. I turned the monitor off, turned the computer off and turned it back on and everything has been fine with that issue since.

The freezing happens some with FireFox, usually when playing games, but rarely when working with other applications.

I'm feeling lost and don't know what else to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have dusted out the interior of the tower and all fans were working when I did that.

Under Event Viewer, I'm showing some COM+ errors, and TCPIP security levels reached warnings.

Folks, I can really use your help.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I suggest you visit the Malware forum to ensure your system is clean and not the root cause of your freezing problem.

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,
Please follow the below mentioned steps:
1). Download CCleaner from the below linik:
http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

2). Remove all the temporary files and cookies using this software.

3). Disable the servies and softwares in start up you usually don't use.

4). Restart your computer and try every thing should work fine.