Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freeze when a dvd is inserted

• Please log in to reply

horseshoe

horseshoe

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi, I need your help please! My CD/DVD drive is not working! My drive is Optaarc DVD RW.
(1) When I insert a dvd (original not a copy) into the drive, my computer just freeze. I reboot and try again and the problem remain.
(2)when I try to open a data CD, I got error message "drive is not accessible. The disk structure is corrupted or unreadable."
(3) when I insert audio cd, the list of file display under the drive but when I tried to play it I got the following error message " Window media player encountered an error when reading the CD drive in digital mode. click ok to switch to analog mode. click cancel to retry playing in digital mode."
I've check driver update and there's no update needed. I've tested with multiple CD and DVD and the result are always the same.
Thanks in advance for anything that you can help.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try manually uninstalling the CDROM from device manager and reboot the machine. Is it a SATA or IDE drive? If its an IDE drive, make sure its set to use Ultra DMA not PIO.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
The device is uninstall and reboot but I still have the same problem. By the way my OS is Vista an the drive I think is ATA. (this is what show in device manager -- Optaarc DVD RW AD%7561A ATA Device)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try this: http://club.myce.com...16/#post1712831

Edited by diabillic, 09 May 2010 - 12:33 PM.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Sorry, I was out of town. I tried the suggested link and could not do perform the steps because my IDE channel show different information.
In my IDE channel property window, it show support device =2. But Under devices there is only one Target ID '0' , device type =ATAPI Cdrom, current mode= multi word DMA mode 2. I have 4 IDE channels and 2 of them show support device=2 but device window is empty.