Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Seatgate Hard Drive..is it alive?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been using a seagate 1TB external hard drive for a about a year. all of a sudden when i plug in the power source into the wall it starts to spin then stops, then starts to spin then stop. By spinning i mean firing up. Is the drive done? Can i get it fixed or extract anything from it? Thanks

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts
If it's in an enclosure, or hooked up via a USB adapter, the circuitry in the enclosure/adapter may be the problem and not the hard drive itself.

Had a customer with what he thought was a bad hard drive a couple of month or so ago. Turns out it was simply a dead enclosure. Removed the Seagate 1TB SATA hard drive and stuck it in a new ~$30 enclosure and it's been working fine ever since.

If it is the hard drive and you 'gotta get the data off of it no matter what', (because for some unknown reason you don't have a backup), you might try http://www.Ontrack.com. Note that it can get expensive though.