Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seatgate Hard Drive..is it alive?

• Please log in to reply

scottthafoo

scottthafoo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been using a seagate 1TB external hard drive for a about a year. all of a sudden when i plug in the power source into the wall it starts to spin then stops, then starts to spin then stop. By spinning i mean firing up. Is the drive done? Can i get it fixed or extract anything from it? Thanks

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If it's in an enclosure, or hooked up via a USB adapter, the circuitry in the enclosure/adapter may be the problem and not the hard drive itself.

Had a customer with what he thought was a bad hard drive a couple of month or so ago. Turns out it was simply a dead enclosure. Removed the Seagate 1TB SATA hard drive and stuck it in a new ~$30 enclosure and it's been working fine ever since.

If it is the hard drive and you 'gotta get the data off of it no matter what', (because for some unknown reason you don't have a backup), you might try http://www.Ontrack.com. Note that it can get expensive though.