Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 hdd issue

• Please log in to reply

iGman

iGman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So for some reason, what resource monitor calls "system (PID 4)" is constantly writing to my hard drive, and by constantly I don't mean a few kb here and there, its consistently writing tons and hogging the hdd for no apparent reason. It's not eating up cpu or ram, just hdd. And mostly just writing the whole time. I assumed this was because of indexing or event logging, so disabled both, but it still persists. It only began fairly recently, but I can't tie it to any specific event.

As far as avast! and I'm concerned, there are no viruses, and I assume this has to do with some sort of driver or other issue thats making the computer decide to just write all the time. I tried a disk monitor, but it only lists the sectors - which is no use to me.

I've tried everything I can think of, and its driving me nuts...

Here is my hijack this log, I'm not sure if it helps, but I'm at a total loss.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Rorschach112, 09 May 2010 - 01:05 PM.
removed clean log

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please start a post in the Malware forum. For future reference, HijackThis logs do not belong in any other forum besides Malware Removal.

iGman

iGman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok, well I'm pretty sure its not malware, I'm just out of ideas of what could be causing the issue... so I posted the log in case there is any useable information in it. Like I said, I don't know what to say or start since I've exhausted everything that would typically remedy the issue. Should I just start one in highjackthis, just so they can check the log?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Your log was clean, I don't suspect your problem is malware related either, so I wouldn't post in the malware forum section

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
That's why you are the expert Rorschach :)

iGman,

Please download Process Explorer from my signature and post a screenshot of it open in your next post.

iGman

iGman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
As an update, I had a few other issues with asio drivers in this install that I was running so I've decided to take the pansy way out and reformat. I'll post again if it recurs... with screenshot. Thanks for your time and effort.