Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dual monitor on a tower

• Please log in to reply

ninjageek

ninjageek

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I was wondering if I can dual monitor my tower from one video card. It has the VGA port and another one that I think is for HDTV, but I'm not sure if i'd have to buy another vid card or not. As of right now I cant afford the card and the monitor at the same time. The Vid card I have is the Nvidea Geforce 8400GS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I built my computer so if I need to change the hardware to be able to dual monitor my tower then I might be able to work something out, however, I wanna try to not change the setup as it is.

This computer is my everyday gaming computer, however, I like to also look things up while I game and it's inconvenient to minimize and look something up. please help! :)

Edited by ninjageek, 09 May 2010 - 02:12 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If your 8400GS has two connectors, connect two monitors, boot into Windows, go into Display Settings and select "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".

ninjageek

ninjageek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks, I wasn't sure if it would allow me to do that :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Won't hurt to try. :)

ninjageek

ninjageek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it wouldn't but i didn't want to over tax the vid card. :) thanks for the help i'll try it later and tell you how it goes :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

it wouldn't but i didn't want to over tax the vid card. :)

Doesn't matter; they'll make more. :)

thanks for the help i'll try it later and tell you how it goes :)

Got my fingers crossed that all goes as planned. :)