Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2000 wants to format already formatted drive

• Please log in to reply

Sandy JR

Sandy JR

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Dual boot ...... 2000 on master, xp3 on slave.

Original drive windows 2000 sp4 © NTFS 39G .... ...; new drive xp-sp3 (d). NTFS . 320G (xp on 48g...and 2 partitions ..125g each)

I installed xp from 2000 and formatted from that install. XP can read 2000 just fine.

2000 shows drive D (in explorer), but when I select it, it says "drive has not been formatted, do you want to format this drive")?

Is there any way to get 2000 to read the drive? Or do I have to reformat the new one again, and if so, where from?

Thanks for any advice ..
Sandy

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
The message means the partition table has been corrupted or is in a format that is not readable by Windows. You can format the drive and it will work just fine, but if you want any data off it you will need to use a recovery program in RAW mode to do so.

Edited by diabillic, 09 May 2010 - 01:51 PM.