Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new ram upgrade but pc gets stuck on the bios start up screen

• Please log in to reply

chintan77

chintan77

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i have the gigabyte GA-EP31-Ds3L

and recently bought Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Memory CL5 2.1V

when i start up my pc it gets to the bios load screen and gets stuck there. when i replace my old ram it works fine. i used to have Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Ballistix Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5 Lifetime Warranty.

any ideas on what to do

i am also running windows 7 64

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
According to Crucial, the GigaByte GA-EP31-DS3L only supports a maximum of up to 1GB in each of the four slots (4GB total):

http://www.crucial.c...p...28rev. 2.0)

Edited by SpywareDr, 09 May 2010 - 02:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Straight from Gigabytes website HERE.

1. 4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 4 GB of system memory (Note 1)
2. Dual channel memory architecture
3. Support for DDR2 1066/800/667 MHz memory modules (Note 2)

* Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDR and DDR2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table.

* Because of chipset limitations, when using FSB 1333 MHz CPU with populating all DIMM sockets, memory frequency will be reduced from the original, and system instability or incorrect detection of memory module may be occur. Please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support information.

(Note 1)Based on standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount. For example, 4 GB of memory size will instead be shown as 3.xx GB during system startup.
(Note 2)Some memory configurations will result in memory frequency being reduced from the original frequency.

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 May 2010 - 01:07 PM.