Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

component file does not match the verification

• Please log in to reply

cautiouseyes

cautiouseyes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My husband is trying to get his computer back to working order. He is trying to restore his laptop. He is now getting the following messages in the windows system setup log:

1)A component file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest.

2)SXS.DLL:Syntax error in manifest or policy file C:\$WIN_NT$_~LS\1386\asms\6000\MSFTWCRTL.MAN on line 21

3)Installation Failed C:\$WIN_NT$~LS|386\asms
error message: a components file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest

Please help.... :)

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are you using restore discs or a regular Windows XP disc? Are you doing a clean install?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
One of the reasons you might have this message is that the files that the setup puts on your Ram is not readable and hence does not match what the set up process requires.

Try chnaging your RAM

If you have more then one stick of RAM try to install with only one at a time (hopefully 1 of them will be good)

You can test your ram sticks with a bootable cd of MEMTEST86 (test only 1 stick at a time) this way you will know for sure if the ram is the reason.

Hope that helps.

cautiouseyes

cautiouseyes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
We do not have any disc's. The restore option was in the computer. I have no idea what a RAM stick is either. I guess we better just take it in to the fixit shop.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
So it's safe to assume you have not changed any of the hardware inside of the laptop?

cautiouseyes

cautiouseyes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh yeah, quite safe to say that.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Ive actually read something here that suggests the dvd drive is the culprit, but since your using a restore partition that is obviously not the case.

Let's go ahead and test the memory and hard drive. I want to rule both of those out first before saying the restore partition is bad. You can either download and burn DFT and Memtest on 2 seperate discs or download Hiren's Boot CD which includes both tools. All 3 are listed in my signature.

sassyklerk

sassyklerk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know this is an older post but i'm just having that same problem today. Had to format and reinstall windows on my dell 4600. I know.. it's a pentium 4 pc but it's still a good pc and my granddaughter uses it for some of her online school classes. Anyways. I've tried 3 different xp pro install disks and got the same error every time. I even used the original xp home cd that came with the pc and same thing. I did find a solution though. I took my dell xp pro sp1 cd and used nLite to make a new install cd. I slipstreamed sp2 and sp3 and right now it is installing flawlessly. Ok.. it's not done yet but i'm sitting here with my toes crossed since i am typing and can't cross my fingers, that it will get to the end of the install without issue! Just wanted to share how things are going. Will update when it is totally successful. :).