Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X1650 Driver Problems

• Please log in to reply

DemisesAngel

DemisesAngel

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a problem getting my X1650 working correctly in my PC. It's a older custom build with:

Jetway V400DBL Motherboard (w/ KT400A-8235 Chipset)
Dynex 400 Watt PSU
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ Processor
3 x 1.0 GB DDR PC3200 (400Mhz)
2 x HDD (WD 250 GB and Seagate 200 GB)
DVD ROM & DVD+R DL Burner
VIA 6421a PCI
Wireless PCI
Sound Blaster 5.1 PCI
(Former) nVidia 5700LE 128 MB
(Unworking) ATI Radeon X1650 AGP 512 MB

BIOS is most up-to-date firmware. Catalyst 7.7 was attempted, failed. Catalyst 10.2 failed and ATI/AMD AGP Hotfix failed. Each time driver is installed and rebooted I get 4-bit in a 600 x 480 resolution.

Graphics Card seems to work fine with my Dell Desktop. Used the same PSU, but obviously computer has different specifications.

I'm not entirely sure what BIOS settings I can change, if I can change, to get it working properly. Very frustrating.

Any suggestions or information needed?

Edited by Krummen0644, 09 May 2010 - 01:19 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Did you uninstall all previous versions of the driver before trying the latest & the hotfix?
A 400W psu should be able to cope with the installed hardware but the cards DDR2 memory might
be a bit too demanding on top of your other hardware, see the link for available driver updates:
http://driverscollec...on X1650&By=ATIAlso http://xpdrivers.com...CFU6Z2AodplVnAA
Good luck & let us know how things work out

Edited by phillpower2, 09 May 2010 - 02:47 PM.

DemisesAngel

DemisesAngel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This was a fresh install, either of Windows 7 or Windows XP. I am also using a DVI to HDMI Cable. I'll switch it to VGA to see if I can get different results. Shouldn't be any different as long as the DVI Port isn't faulty.

I'll give those a shot, even though I really feel that the outcome will be the same, but I would like to also reiterate that the Dell Computer worked fine right from a new installation with that same PSU.

The Dell has (/had) the following:

Dynex 400 Watt PSU
Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHZ Processor
2 x 1 GB of Ram
200 GB HDD
DVD+R Burner
Wireless PCI
Audigy 2Z 5.1
X1650 512 MB AGP Video

No BIOS Settings were changed. While I do understand that the BIOS from the Dell will differ from the Custom, the relativity that they will have similar updates/fixes will be almost equal seeing as they have the same release years for updates.

Edited by Krummen0644, 09 May 2010 - 03:14 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Cannot garantee your motherboard is included in there but socket 462 with the VIA and nForce2-3 chipset of those days had a big problem accepting ATI cards.

I bought an AIW 9800 pro that would not work on 2 of my socket 462 with Via chipset motherborad and 1 nForce (that is how i found out about the problem through surfing for a solution), I finally made it work on an old P3 with an Intel chipset and it worked very well.

Some motherbords company made Bios update to fix the problem but most did not since with technology always changing so fast I guess they tought it was not worth the trouble.

Check the chipset of your Dell that you say your card works well on.

DemisesAngel

DemisesAngel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This is the screenshot I took from the Dell

Posted Image

If it wasn't for the fact that I like AMD and I do have the 1 extra GB of memory, I'd swap it with the Dell.

Alzeimer or anyone else,

Is there an equivalent or known ATI (or other) card that will work with my AMD System?

Edit: No go on either the direct link to the ATI Driver or Driver Detective. Also switched out DVI and tried VGA and still no luck. Please see my above statement about an equivalent card.

Edited by Krummen0644, 09 May 2010 - 04:55 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The latest Nvdia AGP Video card I think is the 7600GT or the 7900GS (good cards) after that they stopped making AGP cards.

ATI is still making some AGP Cards but not NVidia

DemisesAngel

DemisesAngel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
While the 7900 GS 512 MB does look pretty appealing, what about the 7950 GT 512 MB? Better, worse or no idea?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Up until a month ago I was running a socket A 3000+ athlon set-up
with a Sapphire ati radeon HD2400pro 512mb agp card & found it to
be a good card, I played tombraider underworld with no problems, I
did however have to install a hotfix from Sapphire to get it to work
originally, its now in a board with an intel 3200 dual core, works
well but still needed the hotfix from Sappire to get it to work.
While looking for info that may help you Ive seen a couple of posts
saying that Windows 7 doesn`t like agp cards but I wouldn`t know this
for certain, heres one of the links that refers to your card, I hope
it helps: http://windows7forum...p-problems.html

Edit= Typo

Edited by phillpower2, 10 May 2010 - 03:36 AM.