Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Download Anything!

• Please log in to reply

jek1862

jek1862

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
My computer is all messed up, all of a sudden, and I don't know why. I will take it from the beginning. Out of the blue, while trying to boot up, I get a message saying "Windows cannot load, there is a missing file that is needed..."(the rest I can't remember, sorry). Please use your installation disk and use the Repair option to fix this problem. I use Windows Vista Ultimate, by the way. So I popped in the disk and ran repair. It ran for about 15 minutes and apparently fixed whatever was wrong, as I was then allowed to get to my log in page, and subsequently my desktop. But now, a host of new problems have emerged. Some, but not all of my previously downloaded software is now inoperative. I clicked on the shortcut icons and nothing happened. Yet, some DID work. Then on a couple I would get the following message: in a box in the upper left hand corner it says "SmartWebPrinting", then the message says-"the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-rom or other removeable disk that is not available. Insert the 'SmartWebPrinting' disk and click ok". At the bottom is a white space with the wording 'Use Source' and the number "1" in the box. HOWEVER...when I hit 'cancel', whatever I was trying to access then comes up okay, so it is crazy. I don't want to use my computer in this fashion. Something is obviously wrong to get that error message. Heck, I don't even know what "SmartWebPrinting" is, and NOTHING I have downloaded came from a CD-rom, either. Then I had to delete the software that was now not working, and when I tried to download these items again, right in the middle of the installation I get the message: "the directory name is invalid" and it lists some destination location for the file. I am stopped cold at that point, and cannot proceed further. Apparently when I repaired my computer, it messed up some other things. I DO NOT want to do a complete reinstall of Vista if I can avoid it, so please do not suggest that as a first remedy. Please tell me what you think is going on and how I may fix it some other way. I don't mind so much that error message I am getting when trying to bring up certain software, because all I need to do is cancel the error message out and it comes up(although I don't like it either). But not being able to download anything of course is totally unacceptable. Concentrate on that please in helping me try to fix this. Thank you very much.

Advertisements

Sariel

Sariel

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi
FYI : SmartWebPrinting.dll
___
Maybe you should post your problem in the 'Security' forum first.

Regards

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well, I decided to bite the bullet so to speak and did a complete reinstall of my Vista Ultimate. Result: problem solved. I can download everything now with no error messages or any problems. So I am happy, of course. Just now I have to redownload all that software! Ugh. That repair function tool in Vista is good, I guess, but in my case, while it corrected one problem, it created new problems, so I am not so sure about it. I guess we can say my problem here is solved, that is, unless I get some new error message or problems down the line. Thanks for your help.