Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Evil virus even created own Admin. account so I'm totally disabled

• Please log in to reply

greenmom52

greenmom52

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a bad virus on my computer. I called my antivirus company AND Windows support when it first started acting up and they informed me I indeed have a virus, but would not tell me the name of it and wanted $80-$250 to remove it!

I have downloaded HiJackThis and it will run and create a report, but it will not create a .txt file I can paste below. Messages popup telling me I do not have administrator access and ultimately opens a blank .txt file.

In particular, this virus has/is:
rerouting all internet traffic to an "internet security" site
disabled the task manager
disabled system restore
spammed the desktop with Windows look-a-like security alert popups
and I believe it has even created and automatically logged into a user account equivalent to an administrator to hadicap removal attempts.

I'm not positive about the admin. thing, but based on my inability to create a HiJack .txt file (and talking to my nerdiest friend), that is my best guess.

I'm not sure if you can even help me without the HiJack log so if there is another option to run let me know.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.
Janet

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 23,323 posts
  • MVP
Can you boot into Safe Mode? Restart and when you see the logo or hear a beep or it tells you, start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until you see the Safe Mode menu. Choose the Safe Mode at the top of the menu. Try to login as Administrator. This is a login which only shows up in Safe Mode and on Home systems has no password. If you get in then create a new user account with admin powers and a password. Also reset the password on your old account.

Start, Run, msconfig, OK to open a Command Window. (Or Start, (All) Programs, Accessories, then Command Prompt (If Vista then right click on Command Prompt and Run As Administrator then type mscnfig and hit Enter.)

Under Startup, uncheck everything but your antivirus and wireless network (if any). Under Services, check Hide Microsoft Services then uncheck everything but antivirus and wireless network (if any). Apply, OK Reboot.

Reboot and see if you can log in to your old account or the new one. (Cancel msconfig when it comes up)

If this doesn't work you will need another PC with a CD burner and internet access.

Ron

Edited by RKinner, 09 May 2010 - 09:50 PM.