Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My keyboard won't work, error code 38

• Please log in to reply

aguywithaname

aguywithaname

• Pip
  • 2 posts
so my keyboard won't work. i can get the on-screen keyboard to open, but i'd really a keyboard to work again. i'm using a dell desktop (forgot exact model) that runs vista. i had a recent virus that got deleted, but since then i can't use my keyboard. error code 38 is what shows up if i look into keyboard properties. i don't mind just reimaging my computer to factory settings (i've already put all important files onto an external hard drive) but i don't have a restore cd. i saw the post about doing it without the cd, but only the function keys work and not the control button so i can't open the right menus. yes, i've tried using different usb ports, uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard software, using different keyboards. the keyboard works in my laptop (which i'm typing this on) so its definitely a software problem. error code 38 says something about old software still being installed, but i think its from the virus.

Edited by aguywithaname, 09 May 2010 - 06:22 PM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Uninstall the keyboard from the device manager and reboot. Are you able to get into the BIOS when you boot the machine?

aguywithaname

aguywithaname

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i don't know what bios are, i've tried multiple times to reinstall the keyboard

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Hit the delete key a few times when the machine starts up.