Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbee with a delema

• Please log in to reply

Ricky Roundup

Ricky Roundup

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I am new to this site and i have many computers to keep up and am so pleased that i found this site. The archives are very helpful!
Anyway, i won a dell 4600 (have 2 others)on ebay that was suppose to be running XP but came to find that it was loaded with win 7.The system boots to an auto repair loop that the auto self repair cant fix (Startup error). All the hardware is functioning well tho but i did have to replace the battery. I did NOT get a win7 install disc with the computor so i'm stumped as to where to go next.
I do have a dell XP recovery disk XP from my other 4600 and i hope be able to use it to reload XP and do a clean install. Do you think this is the way to go or is there a cure for the 7 problem? I am fine with XP. I do have a product key with the recovery disk will i need that for the install
Thanks in advance for you thoughts
Rick

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

If you have the exact model already and the recovery disks for it, then that would be the way to go. Just make sure that the new one you have also has the COA sticker on it which proves you are able to run a licensed copy of XP.

As you don't have a Windows 7 install disc or COA you will definitely need to wipe it. Sounds a bit dodgy it was there in the first place... Good old eBay for you!

Regards

Troy

Ricky Roundup

Ricky Roundup

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Troy! I was thinking the same thing.I would be happy to have a clean install of XP I'm a little uncertain which key #s i will need and when during the installation, but i do have the keycode for the recovery disk and the windows key tag is still on the computer. Do you happen to know the process requirements for the windows codes? which to enter when?
Thanks again
Rick

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
During the installation, you'll get a screen that looks like this:

Posted Image

Type in your Product Key and click Next.

Edited by SpywareDr, 10 May 2010 - 04:03 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It is also possible that you may not get that screen, some recovery discs will be preactivated and you won't need to worry about it. That being said the recovery discs will only install on the exact make/model of computer so you can't use it elsewhere.

Ricky Roundup

Ricky Roundup

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmm, I selected the cd rom as first boot device but i cant get the computer to boot from cd drive. Keeps saying there is no boot device. perhaps the recovery disc is not a perfect match? It is from another 4600..

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Possibly not a perfect match, or also possible the drive or disc is no good. Check if the disc is in good condition (no scratches). Perhaps see if you can get another bootable CD in there and working (such as a memory diagnostic).

Failing that swap the CD drives over from the other computer and see if it works.

Cheers