Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A secondary router as a repeater

• Please log in to reply

scionkai

scionkai

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Geeks,

I have a question for you as I have tried to do this by my own but to no avail. At the moment, I have Internet connection connected to a desktop PC and that connection is also connected to a wireless router (Prolink).

I have a notebook that is connected to this wireless connection via the Prolink router. The problem is that I do not get 100% signal strength from this connection thus making my download/surfing times much slower than normal because of the weaker signal strength. I have a second router *Asus RTG-32 i think, pretty sure its capable of repeating/act as an wireless access point*.

So now i would like to use my 2nd router (Asus) to connect to my Prolink wifi, and therefore my notebook can connect to the wifi from my 2nd router so i can get better signal strength.

Please advise on how I can do that because i am not able to understand how to connect router 2 to router 1. I do know the basics of networking and I am able to connect to both router on the seperate IPs.

Thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what you need to do is look through the second router's config and look for a setting called "AP mode" or "Bridge mode" or something to that effect, what you need to end up with is turning off the routing functionality of the contraption...i'm not specifically familiar with your particular router, but if it was made within the past 3-4 years it should have some form of AP mode setting.

if it doesn't, you basically need to make sure that the router is set to obtain it's ip address from DHCP, that it's internal DHCP server is turned off, and that any firewalls built into it are turned off.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
That and to add the following info,

If you have security settings enabled on your first router for wireless (IE MAC ID Filtering, WPA, WPA-2, PSK/AES Encryption, WEP, RADIUS) or anything not listed you need to configure it so it is identical on your second one. Also you need to use the same broadcast SSID, Channel, Frequency, and WP Mode (a/b,a/b/g,b/g,b/g/n,n) or any not listed. Doing that will create an expanded zone with out the need to have additional wireless profiles on each computer. This way as you move with your laptop it will automatically use the highest strength location, with both being the same it will auto login and sync.

That and if the second one fails it auto kicks over to the first one. And by fails I mean the device is off, rebooting, or whatever may cause the Wireless signal to be off.

Edited by amw_drizz, 10 May 2010 - 12:37 PM.