Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard Installation

• Please log in to reply

pizzainthemorning

pizzainthemorning

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've got an old ACER 1350 that I've pulled out of the closet. It actually still works great, except for keyboard issues. It started slowly at first, with weird bugs (like pressing my shift key would access any help menu available, or simultaneously type "\2" if I had a word document open), but got progressively worse to the point where now only a few keys work on the entire keyboard.

I tried to fix this a long time ago, updated drivers, switched to Ubuntu to make sure it wasn't my OS etc. Other USB keyboards that I connect work just fine. Settled that it was a hardware issue.

So the question is: I'd like to install a new keyboard for my lap top. If my keyboard problem is in fact hardware related, could the problem be anywhere else but the keyboard itself? In other words, I'd hate to buy and replace my keyboard only to find out that things still aren't working because the real problem is a bad connection somewhere else.

Thanks,
Alex

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

I have seen the problem before, replaced the keyboard, and problem solved. So chances are this will work for you, particularly seeing as you have already tried USB keyboards and other operating systems.

First up you could try pulling it apart and reseating the current connection, perhaps it just needs bit of a clean and re-seat?

Cheers

Troy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pizzaintheeveningpizzaatsuppertimewhenpizzasonabagelyoucanhavepizzaanytime

sorry...couldn't pass that up...carry on

pizzainthemorning

pizzainthemorning

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I had already tried cleaning/re-seating. I managed to find a new keyboard for cheap so I've ordered it and will post an update as to whether it worked out fine.

And PS. You're probably the first person in 10 years or so who has gotten where that name/e-mail comes from. mmmm... bagel bites.

Thanks again,
Alex

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah... don't worry about the monkey. It might be best just to pretend you can't see him.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

And PS. You're probably the first person in 10 years or so who has gotten where that name/e-mail comes from. mmmm... bagel bites.

i actually can't stand bagel bites (they give me heart burn) but i like their song haha...almost as good as chicken tonight

pizzainthemorning

pizzainthemorning

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So bad news... Installed the keyboard without difficulty, except it functions exactly the same as the old one. Backspace, Esc, left and down arrow, 1, and a couple other keys work but that's it. I really, really took it apart and cleaned the [bleep] out of it, tried unplugging/reseating almost every bit of wiring in there and nothing.

Like I said, could this be due to a bad circuit board or other hardware component? Seeing as both the brand new and old keyboard have the exact same problems, I'm ruling out the keyboard as the issue, so next in line comes the board that they plug in to (I can provide pictures if anybody thinks it will help).

Any suggestions? I've been battling this problem on and off for the past few years. I'd like to get it working but it's really not worth me spending that much money.

Thanks,
Alex

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That would be the motherboard most likely... good luck finding one, and good luck installing it. I've replaced a laptop motherboard once, it was not an enjoyable day that one!

pizzainthemorning

pizzainthemorning

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh well, thanks anyway Troy. I have noticed another circuitboard that interfaces with the keyboard ribbon before actually connecting to the motherboard. I suppose the problem could be there and not the motherboard itself (though I'd have no way of knowing), but I doubt I'd have much luck finding a replacement for that board same as I'd have no luck finding a motherboard. And in any case, it's not worth it. Maybe I can sell it for scrap or salvage the screen for some project.

Thanks again,

Alex

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you have a manual?

Acer 1350 Manual

If there is another interconnect board, that that could be the issue because the USB keyboard would work through another route.