Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error auto-sensing secondary master hard disk drive

• Please log in to reply

Bored1

Bored1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Every time I turn off my Dell XPS (which is rare, because I hate having to face this issue), then turn it back on, it gives me a loading screen with the big word "Dell" over a gray progress bar, and a "F2 ____ and F12 Boot Menu" (something I can't remember) in the top right hand corner. Then it moves on to the next screen with a blinking "_", gives a loud beep and says:
"Error auto-sensing secondary master hard disk drive
Strike the F1 key to continue
F2 to run the setup utilty
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics"

It used to turn back on after about 10 minutes of cool down time, but it has been tested on and off for about 2 hours now and nothing's worked. First, it was a lot of testing for about 10 minutes, then a 10 minute cool down time and test, then a 45 minutes testing time and it still hasn't gotten past the issue.

I've tried taking out the battery, waiting 5 minutes, disconnecting the USB items, and all but the power cord as well. Nothing seems to work. Help!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Do you have a "secondary master hard disk drive"? If not, go into the CMOS/BIOS Setup and change the option for the "secondary master hard disk drive" from "Auto" to "Disabled", (or "None", "Off", or similar).

If you do have a "secondary master hard disk drive", sounds like it may be either disconnected (loose connection), or dead. :)