Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD/DVD Drive disables after pressing eject on laptop

• Please log in to reply

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I started this thread in the win 7 forum, but I think I've found the problem. Now I just need the fix which is looking more like a hardware issue.

Here's my specs:

Acer Timeline 4810tz
1.3 GHZ cpu
3 Gigs Ram
Originally came with vista 64/ Upgraded to win 7 64 in january, 2010.

the CD/DVD ROM works fine. Until I press the eject button. Once I do that, my laptop disables the cd-rom and it thinks it doesn't exsit any more. Its not in the device manager or in my chipset options. I reinstalled/updated the chipset and sata drivers. I then deleted my cd-rom driver and rebooted, so it would reinstall itself. Which it did with no problems. The cd-rom is availble and ready to use, all diagnostic programs say its running fine, until i hit the eject button on my laptop. It still opens (after a long delay and sometimes needs to be held down a few seconds and pressed multiple times), I get an alert bubble in my toolbar telling me a storage device has been detected, and its at that point my cd/dvd drive disappears from the "my computer" file trees. If I use a paperclip to hit the release button to change cd's, it works fine. Any thoughts?

If its worth anything the cd-rom is a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-6334

Also I didn't receive a vista recovery disk with this laptop. I do have a win7 upgrade disk, but i'm currently away from home for military training and I don't have the disk with me. I'm heading to afghanistan next month so any kind of system wipe or HDD format is a no-go.

Advertisements