Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email sending problems Dell 8600

• Please log in to reply

kees

kees

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello. Was wandering if anyone has ideas on this issue. I have a 8600 that connects to our home network. The wireless router is a D-Link 713p. My laptop (XP Professional 2002, serv pack 2) is able to connect with no problems. I can surf the web and receive email, but am unable to send email from my Outlook account. This issue seems to be unique with only our network as I am able to send email from work as well as other locations (Starbucks, hotels, etc.). We have another Dell laptop and a desktop computer connected to our network and both are able to send/receive email just fine. Any help greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
What happens when you try to send out e-mail? Can you send out e-mail from other e-mail providers, ie: Hotmail? Do you have any firewalls installed? If you do, try disabling the firewall and then sending an e-mail; does it work?

kees

kees

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yep, can send from yahoo and gmail. Tried disabling the windows firewall, no luck.

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Is your Outlook account a work based account?
The only way you could send mail from your work account would be if you were at work and could access the mail server at work or if you (probably) VPN'd in securely and were on the work network through a tunnel.
Mike

kees

kees

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes it is my work account. I do not have to use a VPN. Outlook is setup to point to my mail servers. I can receive email just fine, but can't send.

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Your ISP has disabled a feature called relaying. You will not be able to send email from your work mail server as it would be a relay. Almost all ISP's will not allow relaying. You would need a login to access your Workplace email server.
Mike

kees

kees

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hmm. I'm a little confused when you say the relay feature has been disabled. I can send email when I'm sitting in a Starbucks, or at a hotel. I would think those cases would be similar to working from home.

I don't have to login per say for my email. The login and password are stored in the accounts setting (similar to most people's home ISP providers) I just open Outlook and my mail is retrieved/sent. This is not a corporate environment setting. I am a 1 person office and have contracted with a ISP to handle my email.

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry, I mis-understood you when you said work mail. When you try to send do you get an error message?

kees

kees

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just to be clear. My home ISP is Cox Communications here in the Phoenix area. My work laptop interfaces through my wireless network when at home. The laptop has its email servers set for my work ISP (which is Affiniscape).

When I try and send an email from my work laptop (from home) the following message is displayed within Outlook:

"Task Affiniscape Mail - Sending reported error (0x80042109): 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Is the port '25' opened on all routers, firewalls etc?