Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bypassing my router

• Please log in to reply

Sie

Sie

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Heya, i have been told to "bypass" my router as it blocks a game i play. any help on how to do this would be great.

Router model - NETGEAR ; DGN10000

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
You could plug the machine directly into the modem if that's what you are asking?

Most games have a listing of ports that need to be opened for the game to function properly. If you find that list, you can open the correct ports in the router which will allow you to play the game. What is the name of the game and I'll see if I can dig up the port listing for you?

Sie

Sie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hey mate, i've already done static ip + port forwarding for all the ports needed for "Steam" and "Cod4 ;Modern Warfare2". It still fails :)(.

My setup for the internet is, Phone socket ( on the wall ), filter, phone + wire going to router, ethernet from router to back of pc. i don't have a modem? atleast i dont think i do lol "im dumb with this stuff sorry" I was messaged from steam to bypass my router, they gave me no details on how to do this at all they just said do it. :)

Sie

Sie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i also tried resetting router to fact defaults and that didn't work, reinstalling the game didnt work either. bleh help ! :)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

DGN10000

Are you sure that model number is correct? Because a google search didn't reveal anything about it.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
It sounds like you have a DSL / Router combination, so you'll be unable to bypass the router. I also just noticed that the router you listed doesn't seem to exist as Cold Titanium indicated. I did find a DGN2000 though.

What port did you forward and did you forward both the TCP and UDP port?

What exactly is happening when you try to play the game?

EDIT -> If it is the DGN2000, I ran across a walk through for firewall rules and port forwarding requirements. Keep in mind that is just for MW2, you'll have to go here to find the settings for your other games.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 10 May 2010 - 11:01 AM.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

hey mate, i've already done static ip + port forwarding for all the ports needed for "Steam" and "Cod4 ;Modern Warfare2". It still fails :) (.

My setup for the internet is, Phone socket ( on the wall ), filter, phone + wire going to router, ethernet from router to back of pc. i don't have a modem? atleast i dont think i do lol "im dumb with this stuff sorry" I was messaged from steam to bypass my router, they gave me no details on how to do this at all they just said do it. :)

By your description you have DSL or something similar meaning it comes via the phone line at higher speeds compaired to dialup. I Highly doubt steam messaged you saying to bypass your router. If your just playing games and NOT hosting them then you don't need to open up any ports on your router as it will automaticlly foward the data to you as you play. The reason is you are sending the requests and router keeps track with special information of your request thus allowing any return data to go back to you.

Anyways do you have any firewalls installed on your computer? As that may interfer with your games. If it is built into windows most of the time you won't see the notice as it pops up under the game and you have to alt+tab out of the game to see the notice and click yes/allow.

If all else fails you can try a DMZ setup on the router, more dangerous as your computer is more "direct" to the internet as your router will send anything and everything to your computer. I wouldn't recommend setting up a DMZ for normal use as there is no hardware security between you and the internet. Only use for testing purposes. IE if you think you enabled all correct ports but it still isn't working. Then you know not all the ports are open for what your doing.

Sie

Sie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yo sorry about that type, it's a DNG1000* not 10,000 lol my fault guys.

Yes i enabled all TCP / UDP needed for steam + MW2

The problem i'm having on mw2 is that i can't join any parties without it kicking me straight out, i can play solo play but i bought the game cos i'm in a very competative clan and i need to party up to play matches.

"By your description you have DSL or something similar meaning it comes via the phone line at higher speeds compaired to dialup. I Highly doubt steam messaged you saying to bypass your router. If your just playing games and NOT hosting them then you don't need to open up any ports on your router as it will automaticlly foward the data to you as you play. The reason is you are sending the requests and router keeps track with special information of your request thus allowing any return data to go back to you."

Excuse me, they did actually email me saying i should try bypassing my router i have no reason to lie. on mw2 there isn't dedicated servers so it uses the hosts internet to host the game.

im open for options as to what to try next.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I apologize about not being clear,

I haven't seen steam suggest or email to bypass the router. I may be wrong, but anyways even with MW2 yes it doesn't have any dedicated servers. But are you HOSTING then game? if so Please check with your ISP as 99.9% of the time unless you have a special agreement with them they specifically say you can not Host any public services using your residential account. It includes web hosting, email hosting (IE hosting and email server), Game Hosting (be it MW2, CSS, anything that you host), other auxiliary services that are accessible from the internet that you are providing to others from your account(s). Any ways the reason why I said that is some hosts actually block certain ports themselves to prevent their users from hosting servers on their own.

As a test Setup a DMZ on your router to your IP address of your computer. This will foward anything and everything to that IP. If you still cannot join games then we will need to look at settings on your computer, and if they are were they should be then the final thing is your ISP is blocking the ports to play that game which means we will need to change port settings to try and bypass that.

Sie

Sie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
how exactly can i set up a dmz ? sorry i'm very novice at this.

Will check back on this thread in about 30-45 mins

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
With out seeing the interface of what your router looks like I couldn't tell you the exact steps. What you want to look for is DMZ Server or DMZ Settings. Sometimes it is on the same page you use to configure port forwarding others it is a separate link on the main nav under lan settings or similar.

Either way once you find it, you input the IP address of your computer that you are trying to play the games on. For example 192.168.100.59 (yours is more than likely different.) After entering your IP click save or okay. Depending on the router it may perform a soft-reset, others will just say configuration saved. If it is the later give the system a minute or two to update the router then try getting in game on your system.

IF it still fails, then we need to look at any firewall programs, a/v software that may be causing interference on your system. If there is no issues then your ISP is blocking those ports.

Sie

Sie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
okay sounds like something new to try i'll give it a shot! thanks alot for the help fella. Will get back to you with results asap. :)

Sie

Sie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
still no joy, i'm bang out of ideas. problem still stands

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Do you have any firewall programs on your computer? IE Through Norton or installed by Windows itself? IF you do try allowing ports through on your computer itself.

Another thing you can try is this http://www.t1shopper...ools/port-scan/ and enter the port range that you need to play games on, if it comes back as isn't responding then the ports are still not open on your system for the game. IF they do then issue isn't on your end and is on the servers end for the matchmaking process.