Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to send email Dell 8600

• Please log in to reply

kees

kees

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello. Was wandering if anyone has ideas on this issue. I have a 8600 that connects to our home network. The wireless router is a D-Link 713p. My laptop (XP Professional 2002, serv pack 2) is able to connect with no problems. I can surf the web and receive email, but am unable to send email from my Outlook account. This issue seems to be unique with only our network as I am able to send email from work as well as other locations (Starbucks, hotels, etc.). We have another Dell laptop and a desktop computer connected to our network and both are able to send/receive email just fine. Any help greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the server require authentication, if so you can change this during account set up in more settings, server

kees

kees

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I dont believe so. The settings have not been touched. I can send email when I'm actually at work, Starbucks, hotels, etc. Just not when I come home. The email server settings have been the same since I set it up.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you go to e-mail acounts then click change then click test account settings it should tell you why.

Server requires authentication is a common cause for not sending so maybe worth checking

kees

kees

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hmm. Well all the other computers on my home network are able to send email on port 25 so I don't think its the router. My work laptop is able to send email at work and at Starbucks and other places, so I don't think the laptop's firewall is an issue as well or authentication.