Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confused about modifying partition

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I'm trying to move around some unallocated space on my HDD. When I set up the system, I created three partitions on the HDD and apparently didn't make the OS partition large enough. The first partition is the C:\ drive which holds the OS (Windows XP), the second partition is used as a storage drive D:\ and the third is unallocated space.

So, from right to left it looks like this:

Primary Partition (10GB) -> Data Storage (80GB) -> Unallocated Space (32GB)

What I want to do is move some of the unallocated space to the C:\ because I'm running low. I have read all about XP's diskpart commands and I'm lost. I've also read that I can't add unallocated space to the OS drive because the unallocated partition needs to be immediately to the right of the drive you want to add it to.

Can anyone help? I'm really low on space which is causing me to run into problems running a defrag and my backups are failing because my software creates a temp file on the OS drive and then moves the entire backup off site. Right now there isn't enough space to create the temp file.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You can use a third party program to do it (Partition Magic or Arconis) and with those it's pretty easy and no worry about data loss.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Are there any free alternatives? I looked into Partition Magic, but it looks like it's not offered anymore. I see that the Arconis program is available for a demo, but I don't know if the demo will give me full functionality.

Thanks!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Try Easeus Partition Master
It is a real good free alternative. I find it is easy to use.

Since you are moving and re-defining partitions and the program shuts done to alter them, I would suggest that you only do 1 operation at a time.

123runner

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I just found that one while searching Google. I'm a little confused about how I need to go about the process. Do I need to move the unallocated space to the right of the OS drive first and then merge it with the OS partition? Or do I just tell the software how much unallocated space I want to merge with the OS drive? I was looking through the screen shots for that program and don't see anything about merging or extending the OS partition which is what I thought I needed to do.

I just don't want to butcher my system and I know it's not hard to do when playing with partitions. :)

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 10 May 2010 - 09:40 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Get me a screen shot of computer management so I can look.

Is there a reason for the unallocated?
If not, then I would format it and increase D to its limit.

Basicly....in order to increase C you need to decrease D from the left side. In order to decrease D, you have to have enough room.
Click on the D partition and then on "resize/move partition" on the left.
It will bring up another window with "handle bars" that you drag.
I would complete that operation first and then increase C as next.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I don't have one from my home machine because it's turned off and I can't use a RDC to get a screen shot. But here is one from a machine at work. I set mine up the same way at home as they did here, although mine says Unallocated Space instead of Free Space and the sizes are different.

But I think I see what you are saying. Provided I have enough space on the D:\ Partition which I'm almost 100% positive I do, move the slider to the right to shrink that partition creating Unallocated space to the right of the C:\ drive. Then expand the C:\ drive to include the newly created Unallocated Space. Then if needed, expand the D:\ into the original unallocated space section. I really only need about 5 or 10GB added to the C:\ Partition.

That makes sense.

Attached Thumbnails

• Partitions.jpg

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 10 May 2010 - 10:25 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thats what you need to do, but again I would only do 1 operation at a time.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Ok, perfect. It sounds so much easier now. :)

Do I need to reboot in between each step?

Thanks for all your help!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I believe it will do the rebooting on its own. (it warns you ahead of time).
Re-booting is a necessary process. That is why I recommend only 1 process at a time.
Better safe than sorry.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Ok. I'll let you know how I make out. Hopefully I'll have time tonight before the wife drags me out for dinner. :)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I wanted to let you know that it worked like a charm. Drag the slider, go have dinner, reboot. Drag the slider, go watch TV, reboot. Viola'.

Thanks for your help 123Runner!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Great little program isn't it.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible