Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep getting erro message when trying to connect!

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I am writing this for a friend who still uses dial-up (laid off and cannot afford anything else) and his problem is below. Can you please offer advice how to fix this? Here is what I got from him. Also, he said all of this started after his used his printer and before that, he never had a problem. Here is what he says:

The computer is a desktop. The modem is internal. The telephone line is connected from the wall into the computer and the phone is connected to the second plug-in (on computer) next to that. However, I just did this configuration this a.m. and still no dial tone when I try to connect, but there is a dial tone when I pick up the phone. I went into diagnostics and got an error message (Windows) 721. Could this be the problem and I would need the simplest of instructions as I am not that proficient with computers. Please know your help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Error 721: The remote computer is not responding.

This has three main causes: 1) Provider problem. 2) Dialling the wrong number (such as an out-of-date ISP number) 3) Defective modem or incompatible driver, or the modem is set for the wrong country.

In the case of 1 and 2, contact the ISP. In the case of 3, you'll probably need somebody else who knows what they're doing, with all due respect as modems are fickle with drivers. Need the right one or they don't work at all.

Edited by Neil Jones, 10 May 2010 - 02:30 PM.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
thanks!