Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

couldn't make the windows to work

• Please log in to reply

lingzero

lingzero

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, this is my first time here...
I just got my roommate's computer messed up...I think I accidentally click "OK" on one of their popup windows...then the computer starts to go wacky...
When I first sign in (XP) the screen kept flashing and I can't do anything except getting the taskmanager to work (showing what processes are at work)...and I saw the name "nail.exe" and did an internet research and found out it's a spyware???
I wonder if this is the problem of the screen flashing and system won't respond to any commend?
Thank you
Ling

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
hi there lingzero, welcome to geeks to go.

Sorry about your mishap but it is easy to do. ;)

I accidentally click "OK" on one of their popup windows...then the computer starts to go wacky...

I fear you've accidently installed some malicious software on your computer. You are right about nail.exe but I suspect more malware was installed than just nail.exe.

Nail.exe is a is a hijacker which means it will intermittently change your Internet Explorer settings / Desktop to the link of it’s author’s sponsors. This program is usually installed through consent, however is sometimes packaged as another product. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

With that in mind you need to follow step by step then instructions here. These instructions will ask you to download and use some software do this and you may clean up most of your problem. You will also be asked to post a hijack this log in the malware section of this forum. Do this and malware experts will help you remove whatever malware is left. :tazz: