Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My First Build

• Please log in to reply

Jpl9330

Jpl9330

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently completed my first build as the product of my Senior Graduation Project. I have to say, it was a bit frustrating at times, but it was an enjoyable experience overall. I was actually going to do it anyway, so getting it to count as my Graduation Project was a nice bonus.

My parts are as follows:

Case:

RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply

Motherboard:

MSI 785GT-E63

Processor:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz

Hard Drive:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3160318AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

RAM:

Patriot Signature 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model PSD21G6672

Ubuntu 8.04 (was going to use 10.04, but I had some issues saving it to the hard drive from the flash drive)

As for the screen, keyboard, etc. I had some old stuff from an old Gateway and a Dell Monitor that I got for free from a hospital that was updating. I wound up spending about $330 on it.

For the moment it's running well except when I try to run a few of the games I have on it, SuperTux 2 is the only one I can think of right off. Basically, it starts running really slowly and the colors get all wonky. I figure it's just that the integrated graphics aren't working well with those games (but if you think it might be something else, please let me know).

Well, that's basically it, good to meet all of you.

Advertisements