Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

system fan

• Please log in to reply

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hey guys, I have an HP Pavilion! I am in the market for a new system fan, you know the little 4"x4" fans located to the rear of the PC that keep the system cool? Mine is terribly loud, and it may in fact be as loud as anyone elses, but I was hoping I could find one that is compatible and well, SILENT! or near to it...do such blissful pieces of technology exist? This one's got to go! Thanks!

Moron

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi there, not sure where about in the world you are so I couldnt
pick you a specific site to purchase from, but the link below will
show you whats available in the size you want & more importantly
the RPM & noise levels!
Hope this helps & good luck;
http://www.quietpc.c...oducts/casefans

Lu7

Lu7

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello,
Usually the quietest fans are fans that spin slow. A fan that spins slower can be a lot quieter, but then of course it moves less air. I have not seen a "magic" fan blade design that is silent and spins as fast as standard fans.

If you change the fan or its speed you need to make sure that you still move enough air to cool the PC. IMO a lot of prebuilt PC's have fans that spin way faster than needed and make a lot of noise.

Looks like you have a 92mm or 100mm size fan. Standard fans that size I would guess run at about 2000 or more rpm. My PC case uses 120mm fans and I run them at <800 rpm, but I also mod my cases so there is more free air flow.

Larger fans can move more air at slower speed, so if you can fit a larger fan like a 120mm then it could spin slower and be quieter, but I would guess that the case would not fit a larger fan. Scythe makes good fans that spin slower with decent CFM (cubic feet/minute).
You might need to find out the specs of the fan you are using, or someone that has tried a different fan before you change it. If you see the fans part # and do a search for it you may be able to find the CFM rating for it.

Also there are fan speed controllers (like Zalman Fan mate) that you can use to adjust the speed of your fan, but you need to make sure you don't let the PC get too hot. You might have to experiment with a temperature utility program. I use Speedfan. It will give temps of the CPU, GPU, MB and fan speed if the fan and MB support it.
If the fan connector has three wires (yellow wire is for rpm reading) and it is plugged into a motherboard fan header, then you may be able to use Speedfan to see how fast the fan is spinning. Actually with the speed controller you don't need to know how fast the fan is spinning, just turn the speed down and run some benchmark tests to see if the PC gets much hotter. A lot of info on this at SilentPCreview.com .

Lu7