Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Large cleanup

• Please log in to reply

masterb7

masterb7

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I have gotten mine hands on a old computer, and allready went through all steps to make sure I had a malware clean pc. http://www.geekstogo...77#entry1816877
Doing so helped, and I hope that deleting the major part off what once were the personal files off the previous owner will help alot too. (they gave me permission, theres nothing important there anymore) Basically for me, I wouldnt mind if I had to reformat my computer, however, I do not possess a window disk :/

ps: not all steps on the final post off the linkie have yet been carried out. I will edit this post and delete this once I am done with it.

Edited by masterb7, 11 May 2010 - 12:03 AM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Windows 7 Pro $65
http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx

You could also try a friendly Linux distro or even Ebay.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I have gotten mine hands on a old computer,

What is the OS on it now. It may not handle a upgrade to Windows 7 or even Vista.

Also do.
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

123runner

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks for the help both, but I am not likely to spend money in this, I am just hoping someone will be able to help in deleting all the personal files, since deleting them one by one looks near impossible. (Also, one off the acounts is under a lock still... I can have mine friend come over and get it unlocked if neccesary though.)

Anyways, OS: (what ya wanted right? tell me if im wrong :))
A intel celeron processor
1.10 GHz, 352 MB

ran the ATF cleaner, but I allready did auslogics, by request off the man who helped make my pc clean. However, large parts off my system seem to be unfragmentable. I can make a screenie off it, if you wish.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
masterb7-

By OS, we mean Operating System (Windows XP, Windows 7, etc...).

From your specs there's no way you will be able to run Vista or 7. That computer can only handle Windows XP and lower.

And I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do. Do you want to completely start over? Make the system usable now? Take a baseball bat to it 'Office Space' style? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Name brand system?
If so what make and model?
Name brand systems usually have recovery cd's and if not there is a recovery partition on the hard drive when accessed that can format and reinstall all original software and drivers. The system would then be as if it just came from the factory.
If you don't have recovery cd's or the original OS disks then the only way to do this is to find the folders the personal info are kept in and delete the folders one at a time. After this is all done then you would need to rerun Auslogics Defrag to straighten everything up.
If the issue is concerning programs then you can remove them by using the Add\Remove function in the Control Panel.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
From your specs there's no way you will be able to run Vista or 7. That computer can only handle Windows XP and lower.
---
thougth so :) Currently using a XP. And yes, my intentions are to try and get this pc as close as to new as possible. With some luck, the pc will then run fast enough for it to be properly used.

---
Name brand systems usually have recovery cd's and if not there is a recovery partition on the hard drive when accessed that can format and reinstall all original software and drivers. The system would then be as if it just came from the factory.
---
Now, that sounds interesting. I do not have a recovery cd unfortunately, but maybe I do have a recovery partition? How can I check that? Also, it arent programs, just lots and lots off personal files... I'm not 100% sure yet, since I still have to get mine friend over to unlock the acc which apperently houses 'the motherload' off the files, so to speak.

I appreciate all help this far :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
easy...create a new user account with admin rights...reboot into the new account...control panel...users accounts...change a account...pick the old account and then say delete...when it asks about deleting all the files for that account say yes...reboot then run your defragger

Edited by happyrock, 11 May 2010 - 10:00 AM.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

easy...create a new user account with admin rights...reboot into the new account...control panel...users accounts...change a account...pick the old account and then say delete...when it asks about deleting all the files for that account say yes...reboot then run your defragger

I am currently hitting my head about not having thougth off that... :) I will still have to get the one acc unlocked, but that shouldnt be a problem since my friend can come over.

Thank you, I will try this and let know if it worked.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can create a new account you don't need to unlock the old account

Advertisements

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Well happy, it was a good idea... But it failed. the screen just froze as soon as i pushed the delete account button. :)

Has anyone another suggestion? I will try deleting the accs another time, but I doubt it will suddenly start working :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have to have at least one admin account...and you can delete any of those except THE admin account

Edited by happyrock, 11 May 2010 - 11:50 AM.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thats what I tried happy. I created a new admin account, then rebooted, went to manage account and pressed delete account on the account I wanted to delete. Then, nothing happens, and if I click on the screen I get a message saying the program is not responding.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get screenshots when your in the user accounts window...
if you don't know how to post a screenshot...go here...

Edited by happyrock, 11 May 2010 - 12:04 PM.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Here you go, piccies off everything. Sorry its dutch.

Also, im puzzled now. I just rebooted my comp, and turns out the account which was the big problem, seems to have actually been deleted. It says first the files and then the account itself will be deleted, so I dont get where all this space is going to... My computer uses up 15GB off space, but if i look by add/remove programs there shouldnt be more then about 4GB used. So where's the other 11 GB? Good thing I had another acc left to show you the error though.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.GIF
  • 2.GIF
  • 3.GIF
  • 4.GIF