Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My tower turns on but won't turn thr monitor on

• Please log in to reply

ccain07

ccain07

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a known working monitor (I've actually tried two) a new motherboatd, cpu, and I have tested the GFX card in another pc, it works perfectly. However, both of my pcs (old aswell as my new one) have completely stopped turning monitors on. I've tried both pcs on two monitors only to get a message saying "No signal input". Also on the new pc the power and reset buttons will not work. I have replace then and made sure they are plugged in correctly. Any ideas what could be wrong and what I could do to fix this? Thanks for your time

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi ccain07 :) sorry to hear your having these issues,
Couple of suggestions;
1: Try resetting the MB BIOS using the jumpers (refer to user manual to do this)
2: On the new MB make sure the connections are in the right orientation (not back to front)**
3: If you need further assisstance post all the details you have about the system
you are working on not both, this will enable others to help you better & to deal with one
problem at a time.

Edit:** This includes the pwr on switch, power led, HDD activity led & reset button.

Edited by phillpower2, 11 May 2010 - 07:31 AM.

ccain07

ccain07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Here are the specs of my new PC (sorry, it's actually my husbands and I know nothing about computers...)
the CPU is an Socket AM2 3.0GHz AMD Athlon X2 6000 with 2MB toal L2 cache and my motherboard is an ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA. The GFX is 512mb nVidia GeForce 7600 GS.
He hasn't used his new motherboard yet so he hasn't done the MB BIOS but is going to try it as soon as possible. Thanks for your help, I'll keep you updated.

Update: He would like to know if he needs to turn on the PC after taking the battery out and flashing BIOS?

Edited by ccain07, 11 May 2010 - 07:49 AM.

ccain07

ccain07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
He just tried MS BIOS and the monitor still won't turn on and the power and reset buttons still don't work. Any ideas of what else we could try?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Monitors will display the no input signal until the computer powers up & sends a signal so I would,
Try testing the psu by bridging pins 13&14 or 14&15 of the 20 pin connector
that plugs into the motherboard, you can use a paperclip to do this & this
will establish if your psu is working at all, the link below shows 2 colour
diagrams yours is the type on the right; http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html

Here is the link to your MB manual page 17 explains how you reset the BIOS (CMOS)
http://europe.asrock...AM2NF3-VSTA.pdf

Hope this helps & let us know how it goes

ccain07

ccain07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok he tested the PSU, it works, and moved the jumpers. The PC still turns on but won't turn the monitor on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Ok, are you still working on the older computer? if you are below
are possible causes/or things to check as part of the elimination
process; check the monitor lead & connections for any bent pins or
cable damage, remove the graphics card & memory sticks make sure
the slots are free of dust & replace the cards securely, swap the
CMOS battery on the motherboard, also I forgot to ask does your GFX
card have a seperate power supply to it & if so have you connected
it, see this link & you will see the power connector on the right
hand corner of the card; http://www.inno3d.co..._agp/7600gs.htm

Edited by phillpower2, 18 May 2010 - 01:51 PM.