Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tower powers on but shuts down right away!

• Please log in to reply

ThePondBear

ThePondBear

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So i built my own computer about 8 months ago, and all of a sudden on day I turn it on and it shuts off right away (before bios screen). I systematically went and plugged everything in one at a time and turned it on see what was causing the problem. (I already tried a new power source, and had the exact same effect). So i noticed when the double P4 connector was connected to the motherboard thats when it would power on and then shut down, and when I bypassed it, everything keeps running. I have no idea what that powers, does anybody know what that means?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Unplug everything but the essential (video card, keyboard, one stick of ram) clear your cmos settings and retry.

If when everything unplug your system still does the same then you have either a problem with (motherboard, processor, video card, PSU or your ram stick).

The symptom you explain usually point to a PSU but you said you tried another one.